Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

hello new here to
 Login/Join

posted
Ilike the ideal of a dbl rifle, own one in win.308 but it shot 24inchs to the left couldnt fix so I got rid of it. I need help in fining another one but money is tight. I deer hunt, pig anything i can here in mo. can anybody help or have any ideals thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
First, Welcome to the forum! dancing

A SxS shotgun with slugs might work out for you at a reasonable cost (~$600-~$1200). A Chapuis 9.3x74R double on the used market will run around ~$4K. I'm waffling at the moment between an 8x57JRS double and the shotgun option.

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks sid for the reply, I never tought much about dbl shotguns because of slugs might not work right and these cab. 9.3x74r i tought they were for bigger game

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 9.3x74R is a little under a 375 H&H so you have a hard thumper for what you are hunting. If by pig you mean Russian boar, I'd definitely take more then a .308Win or 30-06 class rifle. With bullet selection you can minimize meat damage on Bamabi and meat hogs so everything doesn't get bloodshot and destroyed.

At moderate ranges or in timber, shotgun slugs are a viable choice for many. Really all you need to do is go to your favorite gun store and look at all the rifled shotguns sold as "deer" slayers.

For feral hogs, I usually take a semi-auto because I want more then two at a time. The dumb ones in Texas are already dead and the smart ones run in packs and are very quick so, while I like my doubles I want those habitat destroying, native species killing, land destorying, crop eating pests gone and the sheer numbers and reproductive rates indicate we either need more people in the field hunting, trapping, and poisoning them or more FIREPOWER. If you can't tell, I really don't like wild feral hogs!!!

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
sid here in missouri they are feral hogs and your right they are destorying crops. I own 80 acres all woods the feral hog not here yet but there close so i would take the good meat and leave the rest. my ? is a dbl shot gun has two diff. chokes one full and one mod., I could be wrong but you cant shot slugs thru a full choke and iam not sure you can buy a rifled barrels in a dbl shot gun. But if you could i would think a 20ga. would do good and a 12ga. would be better. I have been seeing dbl rifles in 45-70 for about 800.00 are they any good thanks john

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sid, Have you tried a 450 Bushmaster? It is deadly on hogs.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Sid I do have a bushmaster ar-15A2 in 223,5.7x28 will have to try the 450 one shot one kill

One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
I've never feral pig hunted, but how fun would it be to get two to line up then thump them both with a 500 grain banded solid from the .470 NE?

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BayouBob:
Sid, Have you tried a 450 Bushmaster? It is deadly on hogs.

I'm into the 458 Socom (Teppo Jutsu / Rock River) and 6.5 Grendel. I have heard good things about the 300 AAC Blackout as well and will probably try that one before too long. With family and work/travel commitments though, it's hard to get to Texas for hog hunting. Heck at the moment, I'd be happy to spend the weekend at the Dallas Safari Convention .... archer

Best Regards,
Sid

Alexis de Tocqueville

Alexis de Tocqueville

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john t:
my ? is a dbl shot gun has two diff. chokes one full and one mod., I could be wrong but you cant shot slugs thru a full choke and iam not sure you can buy a rifled barrels in a dbl shot gun. But if you could i would think a 20ga. would do good and a 12ga. would be better. I have been seeing dbl rifles in 45-70 for about 800.00 are they any good thanks john

First, I nice side-by-side shotgun is a good choice for what you want. I personally am leaning towards a classic Merkel. If fact, I'm still on the fence about missing a potential good deal a Merkel Model 8 (extractor gun) made in the mid-90's that sold for $1350 on gunbroker recently. It was a very clean safe queen. That one was choked skeet/skeet with 25 inch barrels for quick close bird shots. If you got one that was choked FULL/FULL, you are only looking at ~$65 a barrel from a GOOD REPUTABLE shop (Mike Orlen or similar) to ream the barrel to something else like Light Modified which would work fine and leave you with something that could work on close birds and bunnies.

The Russian double 45-70's get mixed reviews. Personally, I'd be happier with a SxS shotgun properly choked. Also, on 80 acres a shotgun slug won't travel nearly as far off property as a centerfire rifle if that is a concern due to cattle or people two pastures away.

Best Regards,
Sid

Alexis de Tocqueville

Alexis de Tocqueville

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john t:
Sid I do have a bushmaster ar-15A2 in 223,5.7x28 will have to try the 450 one shot one kill

For the distances you are (or will be) shooting feral hogs, a 6.8SPC II, 6.5 Grendel, 300 AAC Blackout, or one of the .45/.50 AR-15/M-16 options are a good choice if you like that platform and don't have local restrictions using one on meat animals. Running one suppressed (one time $200 NFA tax), is loads of fun and doesn't disturb other neighbors and animals nearly as much the crack of a rifle does.

Best Regards,
Sid

Alexis de Tocqueville

Alexis de Tocqueville

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanna:
I've never feral pig hunted, but how fun would it be to get two to line up then thump them both with a 500 grain banded solid from the .470 NE?

It's loads of fun on an Antelope with a generic run of the mill bolt action too! Unfortunately, it wasn't me but, a fellow hunter who bang flopped the first and dropped the second after waiting for everything to line up.

Hogs are smart and mean so, be careful. Darwin'ism has already killed off the slow and the dumb.

Best Regards,
Sid

Alexis de Tocqueville

Alexis de Tocqueville

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Open choked shotguns do handle slugs well, but double shotguns have so much convergence built in that shots usually cross at 25 or 30 yds.

Smootbore doubles that are built to shoot slugs are regulated just like double rifles.

Cabelas in Buda TX has a Eurogun 12 ga that was built to shoot slugs. It looks like a double rifle and if you look at the closeup pics of the muzzles you can see that the barrels are spaced apart to keep the slugs from crossing. I think they are asking $1300 or $1400 for it.

Might be a viable option for a 100 yd double "rifle".

posted Hide Post
hello thank you for the info. on the eurogun dbl slug 12ga. I looked it up and its a very nice gun may have to sell some guns to get but it cheaper than a dbl rifle and on my place a 100yds is about the longest shot you got we,ll see how it goes thanks again john oh the price was 1399.00

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! 8 pounds. Put some 3" Lightfield Commanders in that baby and it will do a Mel Gibson on your shoulder.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
hello just wanted to let you no i bought the eurogun 12ga slug gun its nice and its light smooth bore chambers 3inch slugs will probly have a better shouder pad put on it so thanks again

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Let me say this about pig hunting with a big bore. It crushes them. They dont want to get up after being hit. Hit a pig in Florida with my 450#2 500gr soft. running away quartering Hit him just off ham thru stomach,liver, chest, neck, and exited thru skull under left eye. Cause of death multiple traumatic injuries.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I've noticed lots of new guys posting recently, very good! Glad to see AR is growing! Welcome!