New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes Bullets in Chapuis?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Had a conversation with another Chappie owner the other day, we were trying to decide if Barnes bullets, the expanding type, not the solids, could be used in our doubles. I am hestitant to try them in my rifle, but would be glad to borrow some one elses to see if it causes a problem. Since I couldn't borrow his rifle, I decided to put it to the experts. What do you think?

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
I have shot them through my Merkel and didn't found it a problem - yet - I would use them still - but it is my rifle Wink

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I asked the Chapuis USA folks about Noslers and Barnes bullets.

Was before the advent of the TSX and at that time they said Nosler Partitions were fine but really hemmed and hawed abt the Barnes bullets.

Decided it was not worth the potential risk at the time.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I e-mailed Barnes after NF went belly up.I suggested that they corner the double market by making some double friendly changes. I was told that they were happy with what they were making and that they were safe in modern doubles.I explained that the public perception was that the thinner rib design was much more friendly to doubles. It fell on death ears.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mstarling:
Was before the advent of the TSX and at that time they said Nosler Partitions were fine but really hemmed and hawed abt the Barnes bullets.

There have been problems with Barnes X in the 9.3s, and I don't think the TSX would be any better.

I don't know about the larger calibers, as I haven't measured them, but the Chapuis 9.3s have the thinnest min wall I've ever seen. I've measured several, all .078" to .079". I've never measured a British double, which are famous for thin barrels, that was that thin. Monos don't have a compressible core, and are a bad combination with thin tubes. I wouldn't do it.
----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black Fly:
Had a conversation with another Chappie owner the other day, we were trying to decide if Barnes bullets, the expanding type, not the solids, could be used in our doubles. I am hestitant to try them in my rifle, but would be glad to borrow some one elses to see if it causes a problem. Since I couldn't borrow his rifle, I decided to put it to the experts. What do you think?

This is confusing because isn't a TSX a monometal that's designed to expand? And now we're talking monometals. Barnes makes lead core, soft point expanding bullets that should be OK in a double. I'd never shoot any monometal in any double except maybe the NF (gone) or possibly the G&S. And hasn't it been established that even Woodleigh lead core solids exert alot of additional pressure on DR barrels that is not normally seen when shooting traditional lead core, soft nose expanding type bullets?

I got caught up in this at one time. It only seems to make a difference if you're using a cartridge that's light for the game. Putting the first round where it belongs has alot to do with it as well but things don't always go according to plan. So if you're hunting big ele bulls in thick bush bring a big gun.

All these new bullet designs are to sell more goods to more hunters. NF & G&G were/are on to something. But if you shoot doubles why do you need anything other than Woodleighs? They often even have more offerings than just the 2 FMJ/SP standard weight bullets.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
I ONLY shoot Woodleighs in my DRs. There may be "better and Sexier" bullets out there, but the Woodleighs ( and the Kynoch design they are based on ) have been killing large, nasty critters DEAD for a LONG time.

I just don't see a need for re inventing a design that kills an animal dead the first time.

(And NO, I do NOT shoot solids out of my DRs on a yearly basis!)

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And I will give an AMEN to 577.....nothing wrong with Woodleighs....ESPECIALLY since NF left the scene.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And no shit, Mark is right (as usual), measured mine and these Chapuis barrels are THIN!!

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the sake of comparison, what is the thickness of the Merkels in 9.3 x 74?

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 577NitroExpress:
I just don't see a need for re inventing a design that kills an animal dead the first time.

I agree entirely.

In the velocity band that the flanged nitro double rifle cartridges work in, including the 9.3, conventional expanding bullets just plain work better anyway. Given the very moderate velocity of the long, heavy for caliber bullets that these rifles are regulated for, ordinary cup and core work just fine for most applications. True premiums (which the X isn't) like Woodleigh and Nosler are only needed for the toughest game. Seems dumb to me to accept the well known risks of monos in doubles in order to use a bullet that isn't well suited to the individual application to begin with.
-----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Your responses were along the lines of what I already thought.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote