New
Find
Notify
Tools

Verney Carron O/U
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Did anyone see the V/C O/U's at the Dallas show?

I saw a couple in 450/400. They looked like great rifles.

Has anybody out there shot one of these rifles?? I didn't realize they were making an O/U in 450/400. I was thinking with a scope, it would be a nice choice for Buffalo or Brown Bear.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure would!

Posts: 20140 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check your PM's

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1327 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
I've been lusting over that 450-400 O/U Ken has on his site for a long time - Somebody should buy the damn thing so I can quit dreaming about it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Allow me to sum up historical postings on this topic.

1) It's the general consensus on this forum that an o/u will just get you killed if hunting DG. Thus, you should only use it for rabbits - small, non-aggressive ones. After much practice, you may proceed to shoot most small game safely.

2) In the unlikely event you don't die if you hunt DG with the o/u, it won't hold it's value if you try to sell it later.

3) Ejectors may or may not get you killed in the unlikely event, the gun being an o/u did not do that already. Or ejectors may save your life, but in any event, you'll only be able to reload the top barrel to stop the charging DG (or rabbit) b/c o/u's are just like that.

4) The gun is under $10k new, so it must suck.

5) You must scope all o/u double rifles, especially 450/400s, so that you may shoot 400 yards offhand as accurately as any custom bolt gun off a rest.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 661 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tygersman:
Allow me to sum up historical postings on this topic.

1) It's the general consensus on this forum that an o/u will just get you killed if hunting DG. Thus, you should only use it for rabbits - small, non-aggressive ones. After much practice, you may proceed to shoot most small game safely.

2) In the unlikely event you don't die if you hunt DG with the o/u, it won't hold it's value if you try to sell it later.

3) Ejectors may or may not get you killed in the unlikely event, the gun being an o/u did not do that already. Or ejectors may save your life, but in any event, you'll only be able to reload the top barrel to stop the charging DG (or rabbit) b/c o/u's are just like that.

4) The gun is under $10k new, so it must suck.

5) You must scope all o/u double rifles, especially 450/400s, so that you may shoot 400 yards offhand as accurately as any custom bolt gun off a rest.

Hope this helps.

Sounds about right ... coffee stir

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3464 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I may be way off here, but do I detect a hint of sarcasm??? :-)

Posts: 20140 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Sarcasm ? on this forum ?

Just remember to never get between a true believer and his beliefs.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
I may be way off here, but do I detect a hint of sarcasm??? :-)

Well I should hope so, because I'm laying it on pretty thick.

Interestingly enough, if you take the time to actually read through the pages of o/u double rhetoric, you'll hold these "truths" to be self evident.

In all seriousness, that 450/400 o/u VC seems a nice gun, and I've thought about buying it myself. For the right price .... Of course, I'd need extra life insurance if I decided to use it on buff, right?

Posts: 661 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, if Phil uses and depends on one, that's good enough for me. He's been on more dangerous game (Brown Bear) hunts than the couch potato Bwanas have ever watched on TV...including reruns!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There has been a 2012 price increase on this model for a new gun of about $2K. I do however have several in stock at the old price $7K without scope mount, and $7250 with scope bases provided and fitted (ERA/EAW) type. I even have one with a extra set of 20ga barrels and forearm for approx $10K (need to go look for a exact price if someone is interested).

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1327 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
There was actually an excellent thread on O/U double rifles and their virtues posted sometime in the past year. In that thread, the Verney-Carron O/U DR received very hight marks and praise from those who have used them as well as those who own them. beer

Ignoring the obvious sarcasm intended by tygersman post and my response, they are a damn good deal for an excellent double at an incredibly good price. tu2

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3464 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote