New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lubricating DR
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What should I use to lubricate the pivot point on my DR. I have heard many things from vaseline to hi tek grease. I presently just wipe with oily patch.

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The hook and knuckle need grease, never just oil. Any good load bearing grease stiff enough to stay in place. The last time I asked J. J., he suggested Lubriplate.
------------------------------------------------

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400 Nitro Express:
The hook and knuckle need grease, never just oil. Any good load bearing grease stiff enough to stay in place. The last time I asked J. J., he suggested Lubriplate.
------------------------------------------------

I am sure that would be fine. Ken Owen sells small containers of grease for the purpose under discussion as well.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the same stuff I use for my O/U skeet guns ie. RIG. STOS is just as good. It is a grease.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW,

I found that RIG grease will melt and run in the heat. I had to keep it in the fridge in Zim last Oct to keep it from a nearly liquid consistency. There was little evidence of the grease on the pin and hook, etc, when I cleaned my rifle each evening, indicating that it had melted and run. This even if the rifle went unfired for the day.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
You can get fancy if you have that need, but plain old Vasaline will do! Roll Eyes

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are greases especially made for areas of high pressure such as hinge pins .RIG +P is one of them .Most of the greases advertised for stainless steel also designed for this.

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
My Krieghoff came with a tube of white lube called K-Gun Glide.

"Gun Glide (GG) is a special grease to lubricate metal-to-metal parts of a firearm, where barrels, receiver and forend meet. Apply a thin coat of GG to hinge or pivot pins, barrel lugs, barrel ears, and the roll of the forend iron where it meets the receiver."

"Do not use on internal trigger mechanism."

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
To mete's point above, this subject came up on another forum and we fortunately had an engineer who was well versed in the subject add some experience.

The net of his advice was that more than the lubrication of the joint should be considered and that the proper grease not only provided lubrication, but also provided protection against wear when this load bearing area is under stress from firing.

His reccomended any tacky grease that had a Timken OK load rating of 70+ (that's 70K PSI).

Some of the industrial equipment greases we discussed were as high as 80, i.e.: 80,000 psi. FWIW, I haven't found anything above 80.

I paid about $4.00 for a tube of Citgo EP (Extreme Pressure) grease with a Timken OK load rating of 80 (80Kpsi) at a local equipment shop. That was for a "grease gun" size tube.

At my current rate of consumption - I'm guessing it should last me about 10-15 years.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wonder what the rating is for the typical 90 EP grease for hypoid gears of a rear wheel drive . The hypoid creates high pressures and a wiping action that tends to wipe away grease.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Krieghoff lube. You should be able to find it at any shop that caters to trap or skeet.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote