One of Us
posted
Just got a new book that might interest Double Rifle enthusiast:

Double Barrel

by Norbert Klups
ISBN : 978-0-7643-2748-3
Published by Schiffer Publishing Ltd., PA
Originally published in Germany.

208 pages, nothing really new, but some great pictures.

Posts: 78 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 28 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, one of my favs due to the pictures.

Posts: 17288 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, had that one for a while.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I also have that book, and it is one of my favorites also!

..................................................................... tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If that's the one on double rifles yes sir, the pictures are wonderful....and the translation and editing suck.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9.3 X 75R:
If that's the one on double rifles yes sir, the pictures are wonderful....and the translation and editing suck.

........................ jumping

I agree, it is a little tedious but if the reader is well schooled in the double rifle world it is pretty easy the read and get the meaning! Then in a few place the info is simply wrong, or the translation just too bad for a Texas ranch kid to make out.

Still I like the book!

................................................................... coffee

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty familiar with double rifles having been shooting and studying them for over 20 years and yes sir, it is understandable. I'm also fairly familiar with German as used in the firearms world as 95% of the firearms I work with are German drillings, combination guns and double rifles. I didn't have any trouble with understanding the book but what annoyed me was the side bar on H&H that just stopped in mid-sentence and was continued nowhere in the book. At least that's how my book is.

I'm a member of the German Gun Collectors Assn. and what I was told is that the translation was computer generated. Consequently words that have a different meaning in the firearms world from what is general use come out sort of goofy. Guys that are fluent in German and have or have read the German translation have had a real fun time with it.

I like to sail so let's take "sheet" for example. To everyone but a sailor that is something that goes on your bed. To a sailor on his boat that is a line that controls a boom or part of the shape or position of your sail. I wonder how that would translate to another language? It might be rather amusing!!! I gotta try a translation...."when adjusting your jib take that piece of material that goes on your bed, (jib sheet), and tighten or loosen it until the jib is drawing well".

But...it is a good book and I'm glad I have it. Klups book on drillings, I have it also, is some better in translation....and the pictures are just as stunning.

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
9.3X75 I understand! The translation is a bit silly in places, for example the use of "BREECH" for describing the LOCKS! I must admit I didn't see the sentence you mention in the H&H section, but it doesn't surprise me. The reason I didn't see it was because unlike most double rifle enthusiasts, H&H is my least favorite English make. I lean to Westley Richards doubles.

Like you I have and have had multiple German firearms and they are my favorites.

Right now I own two Merkel double rifles and two German made cape guns, a H. Barella (Berlin) with a 16 Ga on the left, and a 8X57JR on the right, That is one of my favorite hunting guns for North America, and a V. Haffner(Cassel) old spelling With a 20 ga on the left, and 58 Berdan Carbine on the right, along with several German made hand guns, and shotguns and about 20 Mauser rifles.

The Barella has fluid steel ( LUFTSTAL} barrels and is a top lever exposed hammer bar lock action and the Haffner is a black powder back action lock exposed hammer, with Damascus barrels, and a Jones under lever, with one of the most beautiful pieces of wood I've ever seen.

The thing that surprised me most about the book was it's lack of German made doubles pictured or described in it's pages, and no including of detail of the actual building of the rifles and regulation process! Still a great pictorial presentation of some fine doubles!

I also have Cal's BORE RIFLE book that I just bought, and haven't as yet had a chance to read it in detail enough to give an informed assessment of the text, but I don't expect any mistranslations in that book, as I'm quite sure Cal speaks fluent English!
..................................... Big Grin

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac,

Interesting that you have a German made Barella. I found this on a Swedish website, believe that the gun has sold:
https://auctionet.com/en/71526...#machine_translation

There has been quite a few doubles built for non-rimmed cartridges.

Vasa

Posts: 78 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 28 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vasa:
Mac,

Interesting that you have a German made Barella. I found this on a Swedish website, believe that the gun has sold:
https://auctionet.com/en/71526...#machine_translation

There has been quite a few doubles built for non-rimmed cartridges.

Vasa

That is a rimless double rifle I would have been tempted to buy, even though I normal avoid rimless cartridges in a double rifle in calibers used for dangerous game.

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very interesting collection Mac...I would love to admire such a one as that. Mine isn't quite that numerous and is dominated by drillings, mostly older ones but my preference is for older pieces. The one combination gun I have is a Jost & Diehl from the 1870's or 80's in 16 X 10.5 X47R. I'm still lusting for a combination gun with the shotgun barrel being Damascus. One day one will turn up.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I'm very biased toward pre war UK doubles, but examples such as the one above get my heart pounding.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote