New
Find
Notify
Tools

NOW it's done!
 Login/Join

<xs headspace>
posted
Did the final touch on my 45-100 built on a Merkel 12 ga! Spent most of a weekend cutting and pasting green felt. So what if the oil/cleaner can is labeled in chinese...I had one available.http://i87.photobucket.com/alb...adspace/100_0179.jpghttp://i87.photobucket.com/alb...eadspace/Cnv0143.jpghttp://i87.photobucket.com/alb...adspace/100_0073.jpgThe last photo is the work in progress, before the real dog work of regulating, soldering, and rust bluing. The quarter rib is dovetailed, and slotted for Ruger rings, and a Burris Scout 2.75X scope gets me into the black at 100 yds. 2250 fps with a 350 gr RN is the regulated load.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your new Rigby.….. I mean Merkel or is it a XS Headspace custom, I am just jellus I can’t build one. Now it’s time to go shoot something.. Hear little piggy.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
XS H,

You're gonna have a good time with this rifle. I wish I could make a barrel set.

That is a nice skill to have. Maybe some day I'll be able to work with a guy like

you. Have some great shooting and hunting with your new toy.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
<xs headspace>
posted
OOPS, I thought I was posting the photos, but just the links showed up. Oh, well. PS: I loaded up two black powder loads with paper patched 405 gr lead cast bullets that I will try for laughs next weekend. Probably shoot wide, but what the hell. Also tried a load with 4 .445 round balls,greased felt wad, and 20 gr 4227. Made a 6" spread at 30 yds. If the thing didn't weigh 10 lbs, I'd try coyotes with this load.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
XS headspace,
The Merkel 45-100 looks great. Good luck with it.
There are several big bore shooters around these parts. Maybe we should try to get together a group for a day of fun sometime?
Always looking for folks with big bore interest.
Regards.

Posts: 55 | Location: West Point, NY | Registered: 16 January 2009Reply With Quote
<xs headspace>
posted
Hey, I'm retiring from my EE job in April. Planning on part time gunsmithing. Will have more time to burn powder, I hope(if the wife shortens the honey-do list). Keep me informed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Please tell us how it does on game, when you bloody it!

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
thumb Very nice!

I hope she shoots better than you had hoped.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote