Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x74r
 Login/Join

posted
hey lads what primer for my double 9.3x74r, large rifle or magnum rifle primers. Shooting 232grn projectiles .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
nq9.3 - I use Large Rifle Primers in both my 9.3 X 62 and 9.3 X 74R. I shoot 232 gr, 250 gr and 286 gr bullets with this primer. Only use Varget powder also.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
R8 Blaser (9.3 X 62)
Sabatti (trash) Double Rifle(9.3 x 74R)

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Fed magnums and W760 powder; gives the most speed for the least pressure, I think.
Where did you get the 232s? I have not seen any of those for years.

Posts: 17288 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I use the Federal Large Rifle primers in mine. NOT magnums.

posted Hide Post
Thanks boys , i have already loaded and shot some rounds with Large Rifle primers . Still have more to play with yet. Got my hands on some Norma Vulkan 232grn out of Brisbane/Australia(Rebel Gun Works).Will load some up and see how we go. Just wanted to know if anybody had any better results with the magnum primers.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Hornady book calls for mag primers. So does A Square. Others call for std. Since I use mostly W760 I use mags.

Posts: 17288 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nq9.3:
Thanks boys , i have already loaded and shot some rounds with Large Rifle primers . Still have more to play with yet. Got my hands on some Norma Vulkan 232grn out of Brisbane/Australia(Rebel Gun Works).Will load some up and see how we go. Just wanted to know if anybody had any better results with the magnum primers.

May I ask why you want to use the 232 gr bullets rather than the standard 286 gr bullet?

I have two 9.3X74R double rifles and have owned several others over the years, and have never used anything other than the 286 gr to hunt everything!
................................................................. Confused

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies ,The reason for the 232grn projectile is my Merkel is factory regulated for the 232s. I have used 286,250grn and i am not happy with the way she shoots with the heavyer projectiles.Iam off to get some magnun primers and will do some more load development. it will be good to see the differance if any between the two primmers. Kind Regards

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nq9.3:
Thanks for the replies ,The reason for the 232grn projectile is my Merkel is factory regulated for the 232s. I have used 286,250grn and I am not happy with the way she shoots with the heavyer projectiles.Iam off to get some magnun primers and will do some more load development. it will be good to see the differance if any between the two primmers. Kind Regards

That makes perfect sense! Is your rifle a 140-1 or a 141? I have a 140E-1 and it too was regulated with the 232 gr bullet, but shoots the 286 gr bullets very well anyway.

The 141 rifles are very light, made on the 28 ga size action and may be a little more touchy as to bullet weight. My 141E-1 made on the 20 ga size action weighs 8.3 pounds with 24 inch barrels and tolerates several loads with the 286Gr bullets, and shoots the S&B factory 286 gr factory loads very well.

The 9.3X74R double rifle is my favorite double rifle for hunting in North & South America, and would use it on most every species of plains game and Leopard and smaller cats in Africa.

Please keep us in the loop as to how your loads turn out or re-regulation if needed!

..................................................................... tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Indeed i will give you gentlemen an up date as soon as i get out to the range. Looking forward to it ,you all have a great Christmas, and you will here from me soon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
....I have a 140E-1 and it too was regulated with the 232 gr bullet, but shoots the 286 gr bullets very well anyway........My 141E-1 made on the 20 ga size action weighs 8.3 pounds with 24 inch barrels and tolerates several loads with the 286Gr bullets, and shoots the S&B factory 286 gr factory loads very well.

Mac, your gun above regulated for the 232gr Vulcan load. You say it shoots 286gr bullets as well, are you talking about pointed or round nose 286gr bullets?

I'm helping nq9.3 work up hand loads for this one as the Norma factory ammo isn't freely available around here and yes, it would be nice to get it to shoot 286gr slugs. It would be useful if you could share some hand loads if you're willing. Happy to go to PM if you wish.

Regards
Rhodes

Posts: 193 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scutulatus
posted Hide Post
Apples and oranges I know.---My 20's vintage Johann Springer regulates as good as I can shoot off sticks with the 286gr prvi "SP/RN" magnum primers and 63gr IMR 4350

470NE Searcy
9.3X74r Johann Springer

Posts: 130 | Location: oro valley AZ | Registered: 18 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scutulatus:
Apples and oranges I know.---My 20's vintage Johann Springer regulates as good as I can shoot off sticks with the 286gr prvi "SP/RN" magnum primers and 63gr IMR 4350

Apples and oranges yes but still a useful reference load if we try that powder.

Thanks scutulatus

Posts: 193 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 July 2011Reply With Quote