THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Finally shot the Remington '06 side by double rifle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally shot the Remington '06 side by double rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Had to slog through snow to my knees, but it was nice today, and I made my way out to the range finally. From 1oo to 50 yds was under 6 inches of water from snow melt. Anyhow, first offhand shots at 50 were minute of grapefruit, R barrel low and 5 inches left of bull, L barrel (which apparently is the one the sights are set to) inch and a half high and left of the bull.
I was shooting Remington Managed recoil 125 gr.; considering the issues I read of with the early ones, didn't want to pound her too badly(although I did run a few Federal 180's through her, results didn't change much). The gun came with NO instructions as to how to play with the jack screw for regulation. I don't know how to download pics, so I am going to have to describe my results.
I shot a few 3 round groups off the bench at 50, and was able to put lefts within an inch or so of each other. The rights were flying all over at this point. The triggers were nothing special to be sure, but workable at least.
The sights SUCK. I've had better sights on BB guns. After moving the jack screw towards the receiver a number of times, I wasted a bunch of rounds trying to get the R barrel on the paper. I figured at this point to put off regulation for a bit.
I then mounted my scope, nothing special for a not so fancy fun gun, a Bushnell 3X9 x 32. I burned a few rounds but finally got the scope dialed in at 50 with the Left. Then I started playing with the jack screw the other way(towards the muzzle). To make a long story short, after burning through 2 boxes of rounds, and about one full turn forward on the screw, my last 2 shots were as follows: L dead on bull, R around an inch right, on perfect line, just about the spread of the bores . Couldn't get much better( at least at 50), shoots as good as my Chapuis did.
With the triggers, I don't think she is going to be a long range gun for sure, but that is more than adequate for me around here in the quick thick stuff. Handles good to me, scope lines up quick and perfectly, and with the managed recoil rounds it is like shooting a 243. Of course, this is just preliminary info, but so far, I got more than I expected. I have had fun, and it seems to shoot decently. I will file further results as I get a chance; I will verify the 50 yd findings, and see what happens at a hundred as soon as the water at my range recedes.
Rick

DRSS

Posts: 707 | Location: Gulf coast SW Fla. USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wesley timmerman
posted Hide Post
Foxhound,
Where did you find your 06,I have been looking and cannot find one?? How much did you have to pay?? Just curious.
Thanks
wesley

Posts: 676 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I picked mine up back in Dec. at a local shop in NH (Lewis Arms LLC in Bow,NH; they just got in 3 new ones for sale last Thurs) and have been waiting to shoot it ever since. I paid 900. I see a few around every now and then on gunbroker as well.

DRSS

Posts: 707 | Location: Gulf coast SW Fla. USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
foxhound, thanks for your report. Sounds promising. Keep us posted.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rojovin
posted Hide Post
I saw one the Remington's at a gunshow in Allentown,PA. Like all Russian products it has not much class. Selling for around $1,200 US it was an ugly duckling. Crudely made and looked like an unkempt bed. What a disappointment that was. It was in 30/06 Caliber.

Posts: 96 | Location: Long Island New York | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
foxhpound

Between my 10 year old nephew and I, we have shot some deer and wild pigs with the Remington Managed recoil factory loads in 308.

With broadside and rear raking shots that load has performed perfectly.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks NE. I was kind of worried about it, because I was wondering if they would have what it takes(if I really wanted to shoot 125 gr. bullets,I wouldn't be shooting an '06), and I don't figure to work up a load for it unless it proves worth the effort. And, if I didn't mention it, fit and finish were certainly nothing to write home about, pretty similar to all the new Remingtons per my gunshop owning pal.
Rick

DRSS