THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    The ideal 470 NE Cast Bullet
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The ideal 470 NE Cast Bullet
 Login/Join

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted
Jeffeoso and I are starting to discuss this ideal cast bullet for a 470 and work out the specs with NEI to have the mold made.

The desired criteria are:

> Weight of 500gr (not 440gr or 540gr, ect...)
> WITH gas checks.
> Hard cast to B 20-22
> Profiled similar to a Woodleigh.

It's a $0.25 replacement for a $1.00 Woodleigh.

Cheap enough to practice with at full velocities (or reduced), hard enough to hunt with (if you want to take out a few pigs at once.)

Wayne Doudna will cast the bullets after we provide the mold for him.

If you're interested in having some of these bullets (and pitching in some $$$ on the mold) post a reply here.

More $$$ equals more cavities in the mold and reduced costs for everyone.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
gee - i've had a mold like this for a long time. only problem is i don't remember who made it & its not marked - works really well though

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got my 470 mould from Mountainmold.He's shut down this summer due to relocation.I'm sure NEI could fill that bill however.The mould I use also has an additional cavity for the tip,from ogive to straight.When not making solid bullets with WW,(linotype not recommended),I make the frontal area with 50/50 + the base with WW or #2 alloy(saeco #8).Giving the benefits of a solid base,(W/GC)with a really nice expanding SP.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 4276 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you considered using paper patched bullets starting with 458. I can get 400gn 458 cast and Speer jacketed 45/70 Flat Points to the same point of impact as the 500gn Woodleigh's and travelling at 2250-2300fps (sort of a super 450/400.

Paper patching is quick and easy - lots of info on the Net. Takes me about an hour to patch 100 bullets.

And, absolutely no fouling of the bore. Even helps remove the copper.

mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
AussieMike,

Please give some web sites with the info you refer to. it sounds like good stuff from this "arm chair" reloader. clap

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote