New
Find
Notify
Tools

Missfiring 577 BPE
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I finaly got some time to try out a suggested solution. Loaded 64 gr. 4198, 2 each 3/4" felt wads, 520 gr. paper patched bullet and a CCI 250 primer. One round the primer did not light the powder. Four rounds hangfired. Three rounds fired normaly. The big change in this load is the 1 1/2" of felt wad which puts a lot of compression on the powder. The only way that I've found to get reliable ignition is with a duplex load. Any suggestions?

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, for primer issues, it could be anything from seating depth to a bad batch of primers. How deep are the primers seated? You may want to try a different make like Federal 215's as well.

I have run into bad batches of factory ammo before. It is not common, but it does happen.

It could also be an issue with the firing pins. Do you have better luck with one barrel versus the other? Are the srpings still working like they should? Are there any obstructions in the pin hole (sometimes years of cleaning or not forces dirt into the pin hole). On your hang fires, is there any kind of strike on the primer at all?

I know very little about felt wads and have not used them. It seems possible that felt may absorb moisture which would give you ignition problems. That may be another possibility.

I'm sure you'll get a lot more input.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marrakai
posted Hide Post
NP2:
I've used felt wads a lot, exclusively in fact, in N-for-B .577 loads. The load as you describe cannot possibly be at fault. Its gotta be a primer or firing-pin issue as Jim suggests. What does the pin-strike on the primer look like in the mis-fired cartridges?

When you say "the primer did not light the powder", did the primer actually ignite or did it misfire? ...and hang-fires? As jim says, sounds like a bad batch of primers.

BTW, felt won't absorb moisture unless you wet it! I'd recommend not doing that! Big Grin

Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullsh!t stops!

Posts: 243 | Location: Darwin, Australia | Registered: 12 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try some Federal 215 primers.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've tried different primers. The firing pin strike looks normal. The primer did fire on the missfire, it drove the bullet about 6 inches into the rifling. The hangfires were a click bang, the timing about like speaking the word outloud.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the pin strike in the middle of the primer?

If it is working sometimes and not others, and neither primers nor powder is the issue, I would go back to the firing pins or the springs. I take it that you've tried the large rifle versus magnum primers.

It is possible that the springs may have lost their temper, or that something is up with the cocking mechanism that does not fully retract the pins every time. It can look like a normal strike, but if it does not have the "snap", a slow push on the primer may cause ignition problems.

I'd also take a look at the primer seating depth. If they're seated too deep, that can cause ignition problems.

How tightly are you packing the powder with the felt?

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a lemon, time to get rid of it. I'll PM my shipping address for proper disposal.

I agree with Marrakai/Jim, especially if its a hammer gun. The gook of what might be over 100 years, along with ancient machining of the firing pin "channels", retraction springs (again, if present and if a hammer gun) etc. could easily make for erratic performance on primers.

Posts: 1073 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you having problems with ignition with other loads? You might try some primed only cases and see if it fires them reliably. If you are still having problems it might be time to pull the firing pins and clean and polish them and the holes. A slow strike will give erratic ignition. Check and see if you can get a little more out of your hammer springs. Clean and lightly oil your hammer bushings and all internal lock work.
I would recommend the Federal 215 primers. If they won’t light the fire I would try a different powder.
I am just trying to eliminate some variables.
Good luck
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
are you compressing the powder with your felt wads ?

if cleaning the firing pins doesn't work try dacron wadding vs the felt wad.

GOOD LUCK !

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote