Find
Notify
Tools

Your ultimate trio
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Not that I would think ONLY three guns would be enough for any of us. Cool

I've been working on a single shot action for some time and am getting close enough to having it complete that I am now thinking of what to make next. The single shot will be in 7X57R. So there I sat taking a break after stone my action, and thought..."how cool would it be to have a set of DRs, matching engraving, wood and overall style in small, medium and large bore."

My first inclination would be to have them all in classic rimmed cartridges. Small...22 hornet ( make this one with a set of 28 ga. barrels), medium in 7X57R, and large in 450/400 3". I really like round body actions, especially with under levers,.....drop levers, not rotary. All three would of course be scaled appropriately to the caliber. Nice, but not gaudy Turkish stocks with P.O.W. grip, deep relief sculpted scroll engraving with a touch of gold here and there...... No scopes, just classic and clean....so there is my set. A nice case for the trio with all the trimmings and I do believe I could kick back and gloat for a while..

So what would you have, and remember no limitations on cost??( I am intent on building the small and large, using my single for the medium, And since I have total control over the final product, you could say cost doesn't apply to my set either...so it's only fair for y'all too)

Bailey Bradshaw

www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

I'm in the gun buildin bidness, and cousin....bidness is a boomin

Posts: 568 | Location: Diana, TX | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too think the small bore would be a single shot but they cost as much as a double and by that I mean an O/U double. My small bore would have to be the flattest shooting of the them all, 7 mag or 300 Wmag. I wouldn't do a SxS here because I want no crossfire just a straight shooter so for me a SS or an O/U. Single will have better lines, be lighter and better handling than an O/U but I might still want 2 shots. 2 for the money!

2/3's of my 3 gun DR battery is complete having finally just replaced my first DR which I sold, a Chapuis 9.3, with another of the same. This one is case colored instead of coin and with much nicer wood than my first. This added to my Demas 470 and I'm good in medium and big bore.

Good for now I say. I'd love a 450/400, a 500NE, a 500/416. Hell, I wish I'd bought those Merkels, one in 375H&H the other in 416 Rigby, that were on the internet forever and were like $8K each!

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is EASY Wink

7x75R, 375 Flanged, and 470 NE!!

What else could you need? beer

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I need five! A 218 BEE, built on a 410 ga action,with QD scope, and 7.65R, with QD scope on a 28 ga size action, a 9.3X74R, with QD scope on a 20 ga size action, and a 450/400NE 3",with QD scope on a 20 ga size action, and a 500NE on a 16 ga size action!

Roll Eyes Of course if you absolutely must limit me to three, then it would be a 9.3X74R, scoped, and a 450/400NE 3" scoped, and a 500NE un-scoped!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
22 L.R.
12 gage double
375 H&H bolt rifle

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Caveat -- I don't own any doubles, yet, and have only shot 3, so going off my completely ignorant opinion...

A 22LR double would be entirely too cool -- That, or maybe one in 357 Mag...

Additionally, a 9.3x74 and a 450/400

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WVFred
posted Hide Post
303 Brit for small bore

450/400 for medium bore

500NE for large bore

All best quality English guns of course beer

If I'm going to dream I dream big hillbilly

DRSS Member

Posts: 906 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fred, you damn near nailed it.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have really been considering a .303 British....or 30-40 krag for my single shot.

Bailey Bradshaw

www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

I'm in the gun buildin bidness, and cousin....bidness is a boomin

Posts: 568 | Location: Diana, TX | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i don't have any doubles yet...but my first one will probably be a 8x57IRS or a 9.3x74R
and then i would need a .470NE for the really big stuff.

the one in between is really tricky, the 9.3x74 isn't legal for big-five most places, and the .375 H&H Fl Mag is heavy.

Posts: 930 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Would not want to go down to rimfire or Hornet, saw a nice .22 Savage HP Brit boxlock ejector at a PA show maybe five years ago, might have been a Cogswell, and dealer Pete Harvey was carrying around a German .250-3000 Savage for a while. Those are about the minimum, anything smaller is silly.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
But what else is there suitable for hunting the vicious rodentia of the grim suburban savanna... (perhaps, I've been writing a bit too much today...)

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote