THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Chronographing a double rifle to check for barrel wear???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chronographing a double rifle to check for barrel wear???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
IF the average velocity of each barrel of a double rifle is shooting within 12' of each other, say 2300 and 2312 fps, does that indicate that both barrels are similarly worn and that one of the barrels is not more worn than the other barrel? OR is velocity alone not a factor of a worn barrel?

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Arjun, I would slug the barrels to see if there is a variance in grove depth / diameter. Considering the age of your rifle & the fact that it was used well for 3 generations, it just might be a bit open on one side. But that is common with old DRs I am told.

Just my theoretical rant...

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11241 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
12 ft/s??? It would be a near miracle if any double rifle shot that close, though my Krieghoff will shoot within a couple ft/s sometimes. The ammunition probably won't shoot that consistently from round to round.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19366 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What Will said.

Posts: 139 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 13 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The size of the chambers can make a difference as well.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What was said above and what caliber are you shooting? The velocity difference is WNL.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Folks thanks for all your comments. Let me rephrase the Q. From what I understand if one of the barrel's is worn out it will shoot with a lower velocity when compared to the other barrel. My Q is can this also not be the case - i.e. can a worn barrel also shoot to the same velocity as the other barrel?

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reddy375:
My Q is can this also not be the case - i.e. can a worn barrel also shoot to the same velocity as the other barrel?

Still some variables involved. Where the wear is, you can have wear around the throat of the chamber and have no velocity variation. It depends on how much wear and where it's located. Slugging the barrel is a good way to go after visual inspection with a good bore light.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Am taking my 1897-made .303 British double back to Africa in a week. Chronographed at the range last week. The right barrel (usually fired first) averaged 2180 fps. The left, much tighter and MUCH more accurate, averaged 2220.

Note that I had had JJ at Champlins regulate the rifle for my specific load of IMR4350 so the barrels shoot a good composite group.

My 500/450 Nitro does not show quite as much variation, closer to 30 to 40 fps.

Cannot imagine that physics will permit a worn barrel to shoot at the same velocity as one not so worn.

At one point had actually loaded separate charges for the left and right barrels of a 350 Rigby No. 2, carefully marking the base of each heavier cartridge. Was only a 3/4 grain difference. Even so, much more sensible to regulate to the same weight of powder for each barrel!

Regards

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote