New
Find
Notify
Tools

big long and windy tale
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In 1944 an american soldier was streetfighting in a small german town that I believe is spelled Aachen. The town had been evacuated and the soldiers would go from one house to another clearing each one as they went down the street. In one house he found a small doublerifle standing in a corner. It caught his eye as he owned a ithaca and an l.c.smith so he just broke it down and put it in his pack. He kept it with him during his tour and was traveling in the back of a halftrack when it got hit by an 88. He was wounded and knocked unconsious and several of his buddies were killed. He was taken to a field hospital and after several months recovered enough to head back to the front. As they were returning he came upon the halftrack and remembered his bag. He talked the guy driving the jeep to stop and let him check for his bag. It was still there but the stock was busted up and the forend was completely gone. He went ahead and got it as he had a pistol and some cloths in the bag as well. He finished his tour and brought the gun back,kiddingly calling it his good luck charm. He didn't have any shells for it or even know what the caliber was. Sometime in the fifties he brought it in to Dad's shop hoping to get it patched up enough to shoot. The rifle was a 6.5x58sauer but at the time Dad didn't know as he wasn't familar with german guns and without the books that are available today had no way of finding out. He made a chamber cast and decided he could make a reamer from a 30-40 krag and neck it down to 6.5 keeping the rim. He made a forend and a forend iron to work the extractor and fixed the stock. He got the gun regulated with 100gn. bullets and a charge similar to a 25-35 win. Quite a few years later the fellow was having family problems and was moving out of state. He brought the gun to Dad saying he intended to sell it and wanted to offer it to Dad first as he had done all the work on it. Dad tried to talk him into keeping it as he had went through so much to bring it back but the man insisted that nothing meant anything to him at that point in his life. We still shoot it as it's very accurate and just a joy to shoot. The gun is signed Englebert Clever, Nachf. It weighs an even 6 pounds and has 22inch bbls. Here are a few photos and naturally we'd be pleased if anyone could suppy any information.

[IMG]

Posts: 201 | Location: logan, W.V. | Registered: 13 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
What a beautiful little rifle. thumb I have a Marholt in 30 Super that was 'liberated' (stolen) also.

Many people who should be smarter continually ignore the small bores in Double Rifles but they are quite unique and great little rifles.

Gator

A Proud Member of the Obamanation

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left."
Ecclesiastes 10:2

"There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them." George Orwell

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great rifle, great story. Thanks,
Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Nice story!!! Im amazed the horn trigger gaurd survived.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle.

It makes me wonder if anyone who "liberated" a rifle ever took it back to the family they "liberated" it from.

No doubt it would be difficult to find them at this late date but it would be a good thing to do.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WVFred
posted Hide Post
Dale,
That is a really nice rifle....next time we get together I would like to see it.

Fred

DRSS Member

Posts: 906 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words gentlemen.

Bill, Dad laughed and said of all people, you would catch it, the triggerguard did blow off the gun, and he had to refit it to the action.

Fred, pick a decent day and we'll shoot it too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dale,

Lovely rifle and a great story.

Your Dad did a very nice job restoring it. Quite a little treasure.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The action may be a sauer forging.

The asymetrical scallops remind me of a lindner. They are pretty unusual. In fact the action body, shape, and cocking indicators are similiar to the lindner dalys. I've never heard of him making a double rifle though, and proof marks don't show it.

Posts: 19 | Location: idaho | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HBO1

That's an interesting thought, and I see what you mean about the frame scallops. Fuels the interest even more Smiler
thanks