THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    How to introduce cast off in an existing stock?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to introduce cast off in an existing stock?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just bought a Liège over-under in 9.3x74R. Handy, light, well regulated, shoots all sorts of ammo in the same general direction without being fussy. But...

The darn thing has been trying to slap my teeth out of my head with every shot. Never had a sore cheek when shooting before, but now I seriously do!

Moreover, it points significantly left when mounting (I'm right-handed). The stock is straight, and I'd really like to put the necessary cast-off in it.

How can this be done?

Thanks!

Philip

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you sure that bending it is the answer? Sounds like it may be too short. And what happens to your thumb's knuckle while recoiling?

I'm betting that your thumb is part or all of the problem because the stock is too short.

That said, if you want cast off, bend it. It is not hard to do. Go over to http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm and search around for a few threads on this topic.

If that's not easy enough, hunt up Mike Orlen on that site, and send it to him.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
In a perfect world you would see a competent stock fitter, but I notice your location is West Africa. Where are you exactly? Stockmakers in West Africa aren't found on every street corner but I might be able to find someone for you who has a minimum of experience if you are in a country I know well.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I didn't notice the West Africa location - drop me an email at brentd@iastate.edu and I'll be able to give you a bit more direct help.

Brent

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!

I'm in Nigeria, but I left the gun in Switzerland last week. Will pick it up in October.

The LOP is OK, and no thumb interference. The comb just slams into my cheekbone...

As I've done quite a lot of stock adjustments on Brnos over the years to get them to fit me, I pretty much can figure out what it should look like. But I've never had to bend a stock, so I'd rather get proper info before to try, and will do a first try on an old discarded one.

Philip

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reply is en route.

Brent

one of us
posted Hide Post
A good gunsmith can bend the gun, but I agree its too short for you.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WOW! How did you guys figure out that the stock was too short? I'm serious! Not being facetious!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A lot of times, when the stock is too short, the thumb knuckle of the trigger hand is actually what beats one's face. Took me a while to figure out what was really happening in the case of my first double. The gun met the elbow-trigger finger measurement requirements, but that rule of thumb is pretty useless so far as I'm concerned.

Second, when the stock is too short is easy and almost necessary to cock one's head over the top of the comb to get a decent sight picture.

Either one will get you a busted cheek. That might not be Philip's problem but so far, it's been my problem.

Brent