New
Find
Notify
Tools

double rifle accuracy
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just got back from the range with my new double rifle targets using factory RWS 293 gr bullets the gun fired the lower barrel in to a six shot group of about 2 inches at 60 meters and the upper barrel in to about 13/8 inch group, both groups going into a 2 inch wide by 3 inch tall box low dead center. The question is this about normal accuracy with a 9.3x74r Beretta gold sable?

Posts: 243 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 06 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't complain about that level accuracy. It sounds pretty reasonable to me.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
We call that minute of grapefruit! Sounds real good to me!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you using a scope? If so, it's a good group, if your using open sites it's a great group. Your rifle might like Norma or Hornady ammo even better.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
+1 on the Hornady ammo. I have shot beautiful groups with it in my Chapuis.

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was using a standing rest and iron sights I will try the other listed rounds

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rnb:
I was using a standing rest and iron sights I will try the other listed rounds

I would say thet is outstanding accuracy for Iron sights, and is smaller that minute grapefruit, more like minute of large lemon.
Are the groups crossing with the bottom barrel printing on top, and the top barrel printing on the bottom of the compasite group?
If so try it at 100 yds, and see how much it opens up. If the barrel groups are corssing, then the load is too slow, but only slightly with a composite group that small.

beerCongratulations that seem to be a fine little rifle!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the bottom barrel shoots to the bottom of the group and the upper barrel shoots about about a inch higher cluster.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the distance between the center of the top barrel and the center of the bottom barrel on your rifle?

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best I can tell it just under 3/4 of and inch the battery's are out of my electric mic so using a ruler its about 3/4 of an inch

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The best I can tell it just under 3/4 of and inch the battery's are out of my electric mic so using a ruler its about 3/4 of an inch

I think Midway has regular mechanical calipers on sale Big Grin

DRSS member

Constant change is here to stay.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your accuracy for a Gold Sable is fine, and with a bit of fine tuning of hand loads you may even be able to get a bit better.

The thing I would also concentrate on is that they are flying parallel
and not crossing and if so, I think (based on a number of people I know who have Silver and gold sables) you will have great accuracy all the way out
to 150+ metres / yards or whatever.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
found new battery's the the center line of the barrels are .772

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try a box of Norma ammo with 232 grain bullets. It seems a lot of 9.3x74 guns are regulated with that load.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
Your accuracy for a Gold Sable is fine, and with a bit of fine tuning of hand loads you may even be able to get a bit better.

The thing I would also concentrate on is that they are flying parallel
and not crossing and if so, I think (based on a number of people I know who have Silver and gold sables) you will have great accuracy all the way out
to 150+ metres / yards or whatever.

I agree with these comments. Threads like this are too frequently taken out of context by folks when it comes to Double rifle accuracy I believe comments like “minute of Grapefruit” are taken by some to believe that a double is not capable of shooting better than 6 inch groups at 50 yards. Many of us know that in fact most doubles can shoot very accurate provided the shooter does his or her part. Open sights present challenges for most of us as does the greater recoil of larger calibers. Combine this to the typical shooting technique used with a double rifle makes larger groups a bit of reality. Having said this, as 500N states some rifles tend to have greater reputations for accuracy than other, and all doubles will typically perform best when the shooter takes time to develop custom load combinations for their particular rifle.

BTW my comments are not directed at my double rifle brothers Mac or Rusty… I have seen both of these gentlemen produce several dead animals with their doubles…then know how to shoot them!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
the bottom barrel shoots to the bottom of the group and the upper barrel shoots about about a inch higher cluster.

..........Perfect! Congratulations Sir! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Put up a paper plate at 100 yards.

If both barrels hit the paper plate you are good to go.

Still have doubts...

Take the most accurate big game rifle you have, with similar recoil to your 9,3 double...

Take 2 paper plates, one for the bolt rifle, one for the double....

Shoot 4 shots from your "accurate" rifle and you double rifle....

Off hand at 25 yards...

Off hand at 50 yards....

Off sticks at 100 yards....

Kneeling at 100 yards....

Report the results back to us.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote