THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Cutting the foam in a Pelican case
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cutting the foam in a Pelican case
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Tips? Have a case sitting here waiting for the VC to go into it.
Whats the best way to cut out the foam so the rifle sections fit best?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With one of those push in / out knives that
you use for pening boxes with the blades that break off when the tip gets blunt.

In other words, very sharp.

Use a black felt pen to mark around the rifle bits, then go back and use a nice long ruler for long straight lines.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me propose two alternatives. 1. The recommended electric carving knife works quite well. 2. The slickest work I have ever seen was someone who made thin wood templates that matched the rifle and then built a hot wire to cut the foam. Looked like a perfect factory job

Posts: 569 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I outlined the firearms with a Sharpie marker then used a serrated bread knife. The sawing motion and serrated teeth of the knife did a good job.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 157 | Location: san francisco bay area | Registered: 23 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We find an electric carving knife works extremely well. You can also give your wife a surprise gift afterwards

Posts: 137 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 25 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

The "proper size X-acto or other extendable blade knife" in one of the 2 links above is exactly what I was talking about.

It worked for me.

I have no doubt the other ideas would work as well although I found any time of catching or sawing motion meant the foam tore or left jagged marks. HOWEVER, My foam may have been different to what is used now / recently as my case is very old, one of the very early one's.

Hope that helps.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it is pelican original foam isn't it "pull n pluck" no knife required? I thought all pelicans came with that foam.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dago Red:
If it is pelican original foam isn't it "pull n pluck" no knife required? I thought all pelicans came with that foam.

Red

You may well be correct.

Mine didn't and it was original as the previous owner hadn't used it much or cut it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe the bigger ones come different. I have a big one, not a long gun case just a big pelican, I want to set it up with two layers of foam (I got it without foam) for carrying my handguns, gonna try and get some from a buddy who's brother in law has a foam shop.

good luck, post results please.

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I heard of some kind of heated wire "cutter" that is suppossed to be good.
old

Posts: 179 | Location: Andromeda Galaxy | Registered: 02 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used a electric carving knife for over 30 years to cut foam for boat seats. I took a 4'x4' piece of plywood drilled a hole in it and made a bracket that holds it sticking up through the hole 90 degrees. With this set-up you can plunge cut. Even put a fence on it like a table saw for straight cuts.

If you don't mind a cut to get to your center cut. You can even use a band saw with a fine blade under 8 teeth per inch, and get a very nice cut.

If you need to glue pieces, get some 3M 77 spray glue. It's a spray contact cement and has many other uses. Just don't spray it in the house, it has a strong smell and is very flammable.

Posts: 426 | Location: Lk. St.Clair | Registered: 11 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never seen a Pekican Rifle case with pick and pluck.

An electric fish knife works good.

However I usually just take the foam out and out the guns in soft cases inside the Pelican.

Then I can get some extra stuff in there as well. All padded in some manner.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
use a hot wire foam cutter, mark your out line, cut the center out with traditional knife so the the electric hot wire can be inserted thru the hole. Cut along the "dotted line" your cut out will be pristinely beautiful!

DRSS
B.Searcy 470 NE Stainless/extractors
B.Searcy 470 NE Blue/coin ejectors
J. winkler 375 h&h OU
j.winkler cape 20g/6mm rem
F Sodia cape 16g/8x57 jrs

Posts: 72 | Location: independence ,mo | Registered: 06 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
It's fairly easy to get some Ni-Chrome wire used for the heating element for a toaster at a hardware store and set up your own hot wire cutter.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote