Tools

Heaviest 9.3X74R??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey Guys,

I was wondering....

I know that can be dangerous...

Anyway, I was wondering who makes the heaviest double rifle chambered in 9.3X74R.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Posts: 29 | Location: US | Registered: 14 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

I've also been wondering about the weight of 9.3x74R rifles as opposed to .375 H&H (either belted or flanged).

The 9.3 rifles mostly seem to weigh in the mid 7 lb class while the .375's are usually 8 1/2 to about 9 1/2 lbs.

Ballistically the two calibers are very similar with bullet weights being close.

Why the weight difference? I've done a fair amount of shooting with the 9.3, but have never fired a .375 H&H. Is there something I'm missing that requires the additional weight in the .375? I personally would enjoy shooting the 9.3 more if it were in a slightly heavier package but lately I've been thinking that it would be easier to simply get a .375 than look for a heavier 9.3.

As I said above, is there something I'm missing here?

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MACD:

I've also been wondering about the weight of 9.3x74R rifles as opposed to .375 H&H (either belted or flanged).

The 9.3 rifles mostly seem to weigh in the mid 7 lb class while the .375's are usually 8 1/2 to about 9 1/2 lbs.

Ballistically the two calibers are very similar with bullet weights being close.

Why the weight difference? I've done a fair amount of shooting with the 9.3, but have never fired a .375 H&H. Is there something I'm missing that requires the additional weight in the .375? I personally would enjoy shooting the 9.3 more if it were in a slightly heavier package but lately I've been thinking that it would be easier to simply get a .375 than look for a heavier 9.3.

As I said above, is there something I'm missing here?

Both of my 9.3X74R double rifles, one an O/U, and one a S/S are right around 8 pounds or a little heavier. My S/S weighs 8.3 pounds, and the O/U weighs 8 pounds even without the scope and 8. 7 with the scope and Quick detach rings attached.

In my experience those two are average for the chambering. A 375H&H flanged mag is about perfect at about 8.5 pounds or a little higher if scoped!

....................................................................... tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
With my welder I can make one heavy enough to sink a rowboat.. How much do you want? Wink

My Chapuis is very light and a Persolli I had was much better but I don't recall it's weight. 9 1/2ish.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Reply Accuratereloading.com The Accurate Reloading Forums THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS Rifles Double Rifles Heaviest 9.3X74R??

Hi Guys,

I guess what I really was wanting to do is open up a conversation on what manufacturer or company makes the heaviest doubles chambered in 9.3X74R. So please feel free to jump in and let us all know your opinions and if you have one, how much does yours weigh?

Thanks!

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Krieghoff; I sold my Chapuis as it was too light, for me. 9.4 pounds with scope.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hey dpcd,

How much does you K gun weigh?

Thanks....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Verney Carron is a custom gun at an off-the-shelf price... it can be weighted-up I would think. I will find out what the standard one weighs.

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
My Chapuis weighs 8 lbs with a 1.25x4 Trijicon mounted in Recknagle quick detach rings. I wouldn't want it an ounce heavier. Why do you guys want heavy, cumbersome double rifles? How much time are you spending with them in the field, in 100F+ heat, humping them up and down hills in search of game? Maybe if you plan to shoot 5 or 6 boxes at day at the range, but otherwise, I just can't understand why you want to add weight to a double rifle. If they are hunting arms, you'll carry them for 20 hours or more for every shot you take.

JMO! sofa

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Without a scope and with the standard heel drop, I found the Chapuis the most punishing rifle I ever fired.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Without a scope and with the standard heel drop, I found the Chapuis the most punishing rifle I ever fired.

Yea, they do provide a bit of "face slap" without the scope but that's not due to the weight of the gun, but rather the poor fit of having the comb too high, which seems to be a very common complaint with the Chapuis. I'm not sure why they would continue making their "off the shelf" guns like that if the majority of the customers are reporting the same issue?

I find the level of recoil to be not bad at all. I just don't like the comb smacking me in the face and the fact that I have to really press my cheek into the gun to see the iron sights.