Notify
Tools

My new VC 450 has arrived!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted
Verney-Carron 450NE

Practically brand new.. Shoots like a dream!!

Now I need to head back to the Caprivi and shoot another Elephant :-)

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. You'll never wear out that that triple lock-up.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Would love to hear load details if you feel like sharing. Hope you get that elephant!

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice looking gun. Same long-tang on the top of the wrist?

Posts: 1427 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful!

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1098 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! tu2

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
Going to load up a bunch of ammo to play around with tomorrow..

The best part is I got dies and 140 rounds of new brass with the gun and another AR member sold me 200 more rounds of new brass and a buddy sold me 100 Barnes TSX bullets, so.. I have trees to shoot down :-)

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mt Al:
Congrats! Would love to hear load details if you feel like sharing. Hope you get that elephant!

I have a load from a friend for the 350 Barnes TSX for practice that he shoots

350gr Barnes TSX
92gr IMR 4831
Rem primers
Hornady brass

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Caliber...
Have used RL15 with filler, H4350 and H4831.. settled on H4350 behind CEB 480 Solids and 450 Raptors

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Beautiful. Does VC use the same Blitz action lock up system as Chapuis?

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have some woodleigh and cutting edge solids for the 450 if you interested pm me

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Nice!!

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:

VC uses a 3 lug system.

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Love those VC's Congrats

Posts: 2328 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome rifle. Happy hunting !

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Very nice and in THE classic cartridge in my humble opinion.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice AND I had to google Robert Heinlein.

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:

VC uses a 3 lug system.

How much strength is gained by 3 lugs? Seems to me that it might be a more difficult to fit with little gain in strength. IIRC there is still only one underbolt.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bghntr416:
Very nice AND I had to google Robert Heinlein.

I grok.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scott that looks great! Could you post some pics of the mount for that Docter sight and where it attaches to the double if possible please?

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I saw that rifle on GB for several weeks. It was a great deal (under $13k if I remember correctly) and even better if you have a shorter LOP. And I agree that the .450 NE is one sweet cartridge!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lovely double in a great caliber.

That'll hit the heck out of 'em!

Posts: 434 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle.....congrats!!!

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Lets go to Zambia and get a couple of buffalews

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1241 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMR 4831 is the powder you should try first.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6605 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
RL 19 should work great. Also has less felt recoil in my opinion.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A good deer/pig load that works well in my VC .450 is 48 gr. IMR4198 with backer rod or Dacron filler with 300 to 325 gr. bullets.

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by degoins:
A good deer/pig load that works well in my VC .450 is 48 gr. IMR4198 with backer rod or Dacron filler with 300 to 325 gr. bullets.

This interests me a lot! I have never loaded anything using filler and need to learn how.. I want to shoot the 300 / 325 gr. bullets..

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Scott, is your new rifle on the Round Body action? Looks like it from the photo. That's what mine is BTW. Looks like you have the same semi-splinter fore-end as well like mine, and the wood on ours is very similar. I think you'll be happy with that rifle for a long time.

My VC is the one on the bottom sporting its new Trijicon red dot.

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
That’s a real beauty!
After you cut down a few trees with it, we’ll be looking forward the the hunting report!

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello Scott. You are sure to like your VC 450NE. I too am a really big VC fan ..

this is my 3rd VC double .. its a 470NE.

It goes well with my other two ... this is my early VC 475 No.2 NE

....... and this is my 600NE. ..... Verney Carron builds really great double rifles for the money.

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2122 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never tire of looking at that magnificent .600

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Powell:
quote:

This interests me a lot! I have never loaded anything using filler and need to learn how.. I want to shoot the 300 / 325 gr. bullets..

I use 13 grs. of Dacron and push it down the case with a pencil until it's on top of the powder, then seat the bullet on top. With the backer rod, I use 5/8" diameter and measure from the powder in the case to where the bottom of the seated bullet will be. Cut to length then push that into the case the same as with the Dacron. The backer rod is quicker and easier.

DRSS

posted Hide Post
It would be impolite for me to say" Dam that's a nice rifle, I am jealous" so I won't.

my goal is to one day own a Verney Carron

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I use 13 grs. of Dacron and push it down the case with a pencil until it's on top of the powder, then seat the bullet on top. With the backer rod, I use 5/8" diameter and measure from the powder in the case to where the bottom of the seated bullet will be. Cut to length then push that into the case the same as with the Dacron. The backer rod is quicker and easier.

So... exactly what is backer rod and where can you buy it?

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
So... exactly what is backer rod and where can you buy it?
Backing rod is a closed cell foam rope that comes is different diameters .. 1/4" .. 3/8" .. 1/2" .. 5/8" .. 3/4" ... and 1" ... it is used to fill the gap around window frames so you don't have to use so much calk. It s available in most hardware stores or from Amazon. It comes in lengths of 25 feet to 100 feet rolls. I use it as a filler in most of my big bore cartridges where there is less than 75 percent loading density of powder in the case. It does a great job filling the space and weighs very little compared to other fillers. For example: I use a 1" long piece of 1/2" diameter in a 470NE loading and it only weighs about 2 grains ... and it is totally consumed when fired. Its the same thing that Kynoch uses in Nitro-for-black cartridges.

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2122 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
since you have 350gr bullets are you familiar with the 75% rule?.... 75% of 480gr is 360gr if you load your 350gr bullet on top of your load of choice for your 480gr bullet you will get pretty much same point of aim point of impact ...
If you are interested I also have a 3031 load using filler under a 480gr bullet doing 1900fps out of my gun that i got from George Caswell Champlin Arms

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the other advantage to faom over dacron is less pressure

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saw this post and thought a good place to ask this question. My last consulting contract had we in ST. Etienne quite a bit. I got to know the guys at VC quite well. If someone on here bought a 600NE i got to shoot your rifle into regulation. I was just talking to a colleague there and he was certain that the Chinese had bought VC. Anyone know the facts? They also made a lot of tactical guns which i got to advise them on. Send me a PM if you want. the Fking Chinese are buying way too much of the west.

York, SC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would love to get Verne carron to build me a “funeral grade” double, all black with minimal engraving.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote