Find
Notify
Tools

.450-400 Nitro
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 31/2Makesmelaugh
posted
I know that this cartridge has had a strong historical presence in Africa. However, I'd like to know what you have taken with it. Please include pictures and load/ammunition data! Thanks!

"Archery enshrines the principles of human relationships. The Archer perfects his form within himself. If his form is perfect, yet when he releases he misses, there is no point in resenting those who have done better than him. The fault lies nowhere."(Confucious)

Posts: 115 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
You should post this question on the Double rifle forum. There many there who shoot and have shot game with it.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
I'll play along. Hornady Factory "Soft"

Posts: 675 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post

Eland cow. Camp Cooley Ranch

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
I have shot a 450/400 for about 7 years now. There was a couple year space in between that I shot a 470 because of an elephant hunt.

Presently I am shooting a Searcy Classic and will keep it as long as I can physically go on safari. It is very accurate and I can carry it all day without having to pass it off to a tracker to hump. Since I don't intend to shoot another elephant this is as big a caliber as I need.

In July I am taking it as my only rifle on a buff trip to Australia. Going that far from home and carrying only one rifle is, I think, testimony to the reliability that Butch builds into his rifles.

I am looking forward in the future to using it for a black bear, hopefully several more cape buff and a bunch of plains game.

In the past I have shot 3 cape buff, a wart hog, a feral pig, an American bison and tons of Missouri limestone rocks with a 450/400 3".

The thing I like most is that the rifle in this caliber is relatively light and yet there is not much recoil. Since most of rounds fired through it are for practice it is important to me to have fun shooting it instead of just learning to take the pain of bigger calibers.

I use 76.4 grains of IMR 4831 which equals the Hornady factory loads. It's what Butch regulated the rifle for.

It will shoot either the Hornady or Woodleigh soft or solids (close enough) to the same place.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 31/2Makesmelaugh
posted Hide Post
Those are some beautiful trophies guys! Congratulations!

"Archery enshrines the principles of human relationships. The Archer perfects his form within himself. If his form is perfect, yet when he releases he misses, there is no point in resenting those who have done better than him. The fault lies nowhere."(Confucious)

Posts: 115 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palmer:
I have shot a 450/400 for about 7 years now. There was a couple year space in between that I shot a 470 because of an elephant hunt.

Presently I am shooting a Searcy Classic and will keep it as long as I can physically go on safari. It is very accurate and I can carry it all day without having to pass it off to a tracker to hump. Since I don't intend to shoot another elephant this is as big a caliber as I need.

In July I am taking it as my only rifle on a buff trip to Australia. Going that far from home and carrying only one rifle is, I think, testimony to the reliability that Butch builds into his rifles.

I am looking forward in the future to using it for a black bear, hopefully several more cape buff and a bunch of plains game.

In the past I have shot 3 cape buff, a wart hog, a feral pig, an American bison and tons of Missouri limestone rocks with a 450/400 3".

The thing I like most is that the rifle in this caliber is relatively light and yet there is not much recoil. Since most of rounds fired through it are for practice it is important to me to have fun shooting it instead of just learning to take the pain of bigger calibers.

I use 76.4 grains of IMR 4831 which equals the Hornady factory loads. It's what Butch regulated the rifle for.

It will shoot either the Hornady or Woodleigh soft or solids (close enough) to the same place.

Palmer,

That is a nice looking rifle. How long are your barrels they appear very short to me in that top photo.

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Surestrike, The barrels on the Jeffery are just short of 20". Someone cut them off before I got it.

I had to have JJ regulate it and after that it shot very well and it was handy in the bush.

I don't have that rifle now since I have the Searcy.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Shawn Massey
posted Hide Post
Here is a nice 150+ Whitetail that I shot last December with my Krieghoff. This was also first blood for the Kgun!

Now I need an Elephant and a Buffalo!

DRSS Life Member
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member

"Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun!"

Posts: 203 | Location: South West Kansas | Registered: 29 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bigfats
posted Hide Post
shawn,

Nice Whitetail. What load did you use?

Jim

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Shawn, congrats on a nice whitetail!

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palmer:
Surestrike, The barrels on the Jeffery are just short of 20". Someone cut them off before I got it.

I had to have JJ regulate it and after that it shot very well and it was handy in the bush.

I don't have that rifle now since I have the Searcy.

That would explain why they appear to be short! Cool

One of Us
Picture of Shawn Massey
posted Hide Post
I forgot to add my load info, sorry!

I used 80gr. of H4831SC and Hornady 400gr interlock bullets. The body of a whitetail wasn't enough to make the bullets expand like they should have because it was a little hole in and out.

DRSS Life Member
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member

"Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun!"

Posts: 203 | Location: South West Kansas | Registered: 29 February 2008Reply With Quote