THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Sub 20K Westley Richards .470
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sub 20K Westley Richards .470
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 1280 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live quite close to G&H, if someone wants me to take a gander at it for them. I'm not a DR expert by any means, but Paul Chapman there will give me the straight scoop on it.

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Seen that, looks like nice.

Posts: 3527 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Did a child engrave it?

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Engraving looks the same as a couple of Jefferies I've seen. Contract engraver?

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is my eyesight failing, or have the barrels shrunk?
There seems to be a step down between the standing breech face and the tubes.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I’ve seen a few old W/Rs with engraving like that. The Hemingway 577 has similar. Frankly, I like it because it’s indicative of an era and an aesthetic that existed at the time. To me it’s different than the really weird stuff that Rigby puts out that is supposed to be life-like but where the lions look like they are either talking or chewing gum.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately that rifle is a rusted out, clap trap. It’s got some major issues. Basically you’d be buying an $8000 dollar rifle that has a gratis $10k added to it because it says Westley Richards on the barrel. You’d never be money ahead on that rifle.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Much of the engraving of that era is like this rifle. The animals look like the engraver's kid did the work. At the time the engravers used drawings from many of the explorer's books and the author was not much of an artist. So, while the rose and scroll are amazing, the animals are not so great. I've had my .600 Wilkes for a dozen years and still don't know what animal is on the left of the receiver.

The step down to the barrels is not common but not unheard of, either. I would guess the barrels were mated to a receiver that was on hand but a bit bigger than needed so to save weight barrels of the correct diameter were put on. I've seen this prior, it's out there, and not a reason not to buy.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
Unfortunately that rifle is a rusted out, clap trap. It’s got some major issues. Basically you’d be buying an $8000 dollar rifle that has a gratis $10k added to it because it says Westley Richards on the barrel. You’d never be money ahead on that rifle.

Just for my education, what issues do you see at first glance?

Posts: 1280 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
BTW check out gunbroker,some English guns just came up.

DRSS

Posts: 2281 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Colin Masters:
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:

Just for my education, what issues do you see at first glance?

Rust and pitting of unknown depth throughout. The right side of the the trigger guard has a deep deformation it looks like a pretty deep dent. As you move aft to the pistol grip the screws are completely jacked up and as you move up to the pistol grip there is a deformation in the metal. It looks like the rifle has suffered some pretty bad abuse.

The gun needs enough work that I think you’d be money behind no matter what.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It certainly looks rough.

What is funny is that griffin and Howe has this great reputation, but this is the second double I though was cosmetically disadvantaged. The other was an army&navy .450. It sold, but was prices at $13,900.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The WR name carries a lot of weight. Someone will buy it. But if you just want a shooter you can do better for that money.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rikkochet:
Is my eyesight failing, or have the barrels shrunk?
There seems to be a step down between the standing breech face and the tubes.

I see what you mean! I would say this rifle has had new barrels installed at some time in the past. The saddle on the bottom of the barrels at the breach also doesn't match the raised portion around the breach either.

I would look this thing over very carefully before buying it, and though my favorite maker is Westley Richards IMO, this rifle is suspect, and not worth 18K.

........................Just my opinion, and not something anyone here is required to agree with!

..................................................................... old Mac

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote