THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    New guy, trying to get his feet wet with doubles.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New guy, trying to get his feet wet with doubles.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of AK_Stick
posted
Hey guys.

So I'm sitting here on the FOB in Kosovo, slowly counting down the days till this deployment ends... And toying with the idea of getting a double rifle. Now I love classic European rifles, I own a CZ in 416, a custom Enfield in 375 ICL, and a 338 win mag, all more or less in the vein of express rifles. I'd love a 470 or something along those lines, but truth be told, at 23, I'm not going to see Africa anytime soon, esp with a deployment to A-stan coming up soon after I return home I'd like a rifle I hunt with, unless I could find a nice gun for a great price right off the bat.

So, if you were starting off, what would you recommend for a starter rifle? I'm from Alaska, so I hunt moose, I was thinking of these three.

Merkel 141 in 9.3x74r
Siace in 9.3x74r
Chapuis in the same.

Any others I should look at? I love the Kreighoff rifles, but at 10K+, its the most expensive I could afford for now.

Thoughts?

Only Angels and Aviators have wings

Posts: 263 | Location: The frozen north, between deployments | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Stick,

Thank you for your service to our country. I appreciate you for the sacrifices you make.

Have you thought about a heym in 375? Gunsinernational has a post http://www.gunsinternational.c...cfm?gun_id=100066621

Looks pretty sweet.

Godspeed home.

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AK is there a reason you are only considering side by sides? Remember there are plenty of O/U's available in, say, 9.3x74R, or 7x57R that are much cheaper, just as much fun to shoot, and just as accurate. I own a Tikka/ Valmet O/U that has 3 barrel sets: 12 ga O/U; 12 ga/7x57R and 9.3x74R O/U. I love the gun, and it looks good too! I suspect that these calibers would be more useful to you in the USA.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Greetings Stick, and thanks from me as well for your service. Spent three months on the USS Hue City blockading Bosnia back in 92.

Whatever you decide to buy, get as much gun as you can afford. Keep an eye out for a Searcy if you can go around 10K.

Bailey Bradshaw

www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

I'm in the gun buildin bidness, and cousin....bidness is a boomin

Posts: 568 | Location: Diana, TX | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would look at all 3 and get the one you like the best.

I would be sure and order it with a scope mount.

The 9,3x74R is an excellent cartridge.

I have used one quite a bit. I have a Chapuis.
It is one of my favorite hunting rifles.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK_Stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
AK is there a reason you are only considering side by sides? Remember there are plenty of O/U's available in, say, 9.3x74R, or 7x57R that are much cheaper, just as much fun to shoot, and just as accurate. I own a Tikka/ Valmet O/U that has 3 barrel sets: 12 ga O/U; 12 ga/7x57R and 9.3x74R O/U. I love the gun, and it looks good too! I suspect that these calibers would be more useful to you in the USA.
Peter.

I like the way the side by sides look, and I've never been a fan of O/U's. Nothing wrong with them at all, just not my cup o tea.

Only Angels and Aviators have wings

Posts: 263 | Location: The frozen north, between deployments | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you don't mind European styling and metric cartridges, I'd shop locally while you're in Europe.

Posts: 709 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Stick,

I spent two tours in Kosovo; one at the very begining in 1999 and again in 2000/20001. In 1999, we drove overland from Albania with Task Force Hawk at the end of the Kosovo Air Campaign. I too am headed to A-Stan later this year.

However, lets get to the topic of double rifles. Last year I bought a new Merkel .500 Nitro Express. I already hade a .375 H&H and .458 Lott, but wanted a double. I absolutely love my Merkel. Yes, they are big bucks, but I had been saving for a long time. I am an avid reloader and just love to shoot reduced load cast bullets in it.

I would advise you to save your deployment bucks and buy a nice rifle... something you really want. Life is short, so have fun while you can.

Be safe and thanks for your service.

Posts: 55 | Location: West Point, NY | Registered: 16 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can recommend the Chapuis 9,3x74R. They can be purchased new for under 5K and for less used.
They make a perfect moose or brown rifle for Alaska (used one to take my moose last year). Extremely accurate. You can order one built to your specs and it will most likely be delivered in 6 months or less.
When you get back from your tour drop me a message and we can head out to the range and you can shoot mine a few times.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote