THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Double rifle owners-Which is you favorite double rifle make?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double rifle owners-Which is you favorite double rifle make?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd

Wouldn't it be funny.

Shitaway puts all of us on ignore and
we all have him on ignore.

Would make for a very interesting thread read !!!

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've put him on "ignore" a couple of times, but it then became very difficult to make any sense of threads that contained missing posts from him.

Of course, removing him from "ignore" and thus restoring the posts made those threads even more incomprehensible.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I put the little psycho on ignore a couple of days ago. It's like having an irritating squeal removed from your environment..

Very nice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:
What is this nonsense?Are we kids here saying the Concord is the fastest airplane and crap? I ASKED WHAT IS IT ABOUT THE RIFLE THAT MADE IT BETTER?

Simple, Everytime I fondle my Army/Navy Webley longscrew I have an orgasm.

Case closed!

I am going to put everyone on ignore.

Thank you--

jumping jumping jumping jumping jumping

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am going to put everyone on ignore.

Promises, promises..

Don't go away mad!

just go away! jumping

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just curious to see who likes what and why? I should add, from the ones that you own or used and had some shooting experience with.

Shootaway, the short answer is Westley Richards! The long answer is I like all QUALITY double rifles! If it means anything I have owned many different double rifles by many different makers and Westley Richards is simply my favorite!

.....................................................................BYE wave

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Everyone likes Holland, Purdey, and WR so I'll put in my vote for Lang and Wilkes.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Okay, I understand now.
quote:
What is this nonsense?Are we kids here saying the Concord is the fastest airplane and crap? I ASKED WHAT IS IT ABOUT THE RIFLE THAT MADE IT BETTER?

My favorite was a little Manton & Co. that was built by Webley & Scott. It was originally chambered for .22 HP (Savage) but had been rebored to 25-35 Win. I liked it because I couldn't shoot it as fast as my AR-15 so it never got too hot. It was small and light and much easier on the hip then my .454 revolver, though I had to spend extra to special order a custom double rifle Kydex holster.

I found a very easy way to clean it. I would run a long piece of Hoppe's soaked yarn through one barrel, back through the other barrel, and back again several times. Then I would light the end of the yarn with a match, put my foot on the barrels, and yank with all my might. With one good pull the barrels would be cleaned, lubed, and cauterized to new condition. Try that with your Westley or Rigby!

The metal work was superb and it never rusted, even after that time I got stuck with a breakdown in the Adirondacks and had to use it as an expedient axle for an old Land Rover. The stock had a tremendous amount of figure, especially for dogwood, and it was checkered in a traditional 2 point basket-weave pattern and adorned with exquisite carvings of barnyard animals.

I was nearly always able to shoot two 1" groups side-by-side at 100 yards with only 18" between them. The sights were traditional British but only had 1 sitting and two laying down - none were standing. Part of the reason the rifle was so accurate was because I had an old Etruscan gunsmith fit it with a scope made out of the handlebars of a Schwinn Typhoon bicycle. There was no glass in the scope but the aperture was small enough that it provided just the right amount of clarity and magnification without a wide and bothersome field of view. Anyone who has done any amount of shooting at all knows exactly what I am talking about.

I took many animals with it and most of them are dead now.

Unfortunately, I sold it several years ago while having an unexpected attack of personal economic crisis. I let it go for a handful of what were purported to be special beans but I even lost those when they accidentally dropped between the floorboards of my cabin one rainy night. What happened that night and the following morning was a true adventure but I'll have to save that for later discussion because it is beyond the scope of this thread.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:

We have a winner!!

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 820 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
jumping jumping jumping jumping jumping

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well thought out and well articulated. But some may wind fault.

Posts: 1625 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I want to hear more about the special beans. clap

And who the band will be at SCI! coffee

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
OK, I'll bite: Hartmann & Weiss Cool

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD999:
OK, I'll bite: Hartmann & Weiss Cool

Not a bad choice, they make beautiful guns.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
My Famars 450#2 Africa Express. Rifle fits me supperbly. It is a unique double, Loading 450gr, 480gr, 500gr same load it puts them all in the same place. No tweeking of loads necessary.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Here is a good picture of John Sharp's 470 Rigby, made circa 1926:

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
Great photo, great rifle. Looks like a real ph rifle with no bluing left on the forward part of the right barrel.

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Are there no supporters for the Webley-Vickers 50.80? According to Thurber it is an excellent pieceSmiler

Posts: 5095 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pre 1900 - Alexander Henry/ Webley & Scott
Post - H&H / WR
Makers and retailers are often confused

One of Us
Picture of Rigby350
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
My Famars 450#2 Africa Express. Rifle fits me supperbly. It is a unique double, Loading 450gr, 480gr, 500gr same load it puts them all in the same place. No tweeking of loads necessary.

Mike

Hi Mike, I sure like the FAMARS, very nice double.

Posts: 119 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rigby350:
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:

Mike

Hi Mike, I sure like the FAMARS, very nice double.

+1 Very nice.

Posts: 662 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
That Farmars looks great with such voluptuous fences, Retreever. Are the velocities of the different loads all the same?

Posts: 5095 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote