THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    What 470 Bullet for a Searcy Rifle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What 470 Bullet for a Searcy Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted
Guys,

I should be getting my 470 from Butch sometime in April. I have already got the dies and some brass. I am now looking at bullets. I have always been a big Barnes X fan. I was wondering what you guys have used ???

I was thinking I would use Barnes X 500 grain bullets for Africa for buff and all the plains game I can shoot with it. I plan to load up and and bring Barnes solids if I am in an area where Ele might be an issue and for following up on buff in thick stuff.

I was thinking on using the 500 grain Hornady DGX expanding bullets for any and all use in North America. This would include bears, moose and feral pigs.

I am curious what you guys have used in Searcy rifles and how it worked. I am open to any and all suggestions.

THANKS

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Barnes X.....You haven't read any of the OSR threads huh?
I suggest you read them. Then decide.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch uses a lot of Hornaday and Woodleighs for his regulation loads. He likes North Forks and I will be trying them in my 375 Flanged and when North Forks come out with their 500 NE bullets. Tried 570 Gr Hornaday softs in the 500 NE and they shot great.

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I have read all the threads. Some opinions I found were good and based in fact most were not.

I have heard all to horror stories HOWEVER I have yet to hear about a double comming apart from using Barnes bullets.
What do you use in your doubles??

470drshooter,

I have 0 experience with Woodleighs, I like Hornadys DGX, but I have seen some failures first hand with their solids with buffalo.

If I use Barnes bullets it will only be in Africa. Moreover if Butch Searcy tells me not to use them I will not. I was under the impression that they were OK in a Searcy double??

Maybe Butch can weigh in on this???

I realy like the Northfork design and I plan to load some of the cup and flat nosed solids for my Chapuis.

Thanks Again Guys...

Please keep the info flowing..

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I re-size .410 Hornady DGXs in a Corbin die for my .408 450.400 3 inch. They are very accurate and I am pleased with them.

If you are shooting a modern double then you should shoot whatever bullet you'd like.

Of course I'm a big fan of Woodleighs. I don't shoot a lot of solids through my rifle. I would only use Woodleigh or Hornady solids for DG.

Remember it isn't about how fast you can drive a bullet in a double it's all about regulation. That's all that counts!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rusty,

I agree 100% with .... "Remember it isn't about how fast you can drive a bullet in a double it's all about regulation. That's all that counts!"

I have never been a guy who chaces the fastest load in any rifle. When working up loads I always stopped when I got the best accuracy, not the hightest velocity.

I do not use Barnes X in my only other double, the Chapuis in 9.3x74r because I was specificaly told not to by JJ from Champlain arms who works on those guns. With the Chapuis I settled on the Hornady SP for North American stuff, and I plan to use the 286grain Nossler Partition and either a Woodleigh solid or a North Fork for Africa.

I don't plan on using a lot of solids in my doubles (or any rifle for that matter)

Thanks again for the advice.

Jamie

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Honkey:

I don't have a Searcy but I do have a .470. Here is my question to you. Why would you want to fool with a homogenous solid and even take the chance of damaging you gun (even though that chance might be remote) when you have another perfect bullet for your .470, the 500 grain Woodleigh? Trust me when I say that at double rifle velocity, the Woodleigh RN SN is a really fine bullet and the Woodleigh solid will do all that you need to do with your .470. My advice, just have Mr. Searcy regulate you gun with Woodleighs and never look back.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just bought a Searcy .470 NE last month. I spoke with Butch at Reno and he told me that he regulates with a 500gr Woodleigh bullet in front of 106gr of IMR4831 and a Federal 215 primer. So, I loaded some up. Shot the rifle this week and that load shoots just a touch high at 50 yds, but under 2" for four shots. I also have some Westley Richards ammunition (loaded by Wolfgang Romey I believe) and one each soft and solid went into the same group. Double Rifles, from what Butch tells me, and the experiences of DR shooters here leads me to believe that you cannot hurt your rifle with Woodleighs or the Hornady DGS. Monolithic solids can.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Honkey,

Let me preface this with I do not own a Searcy. I do have a 470 Nitro K-Gun.

IMO (for what that is worth), if your barrel is of the correct diameter, North Forks would place less stress on the barrels than Woodleighs or Hornady.

As far as regulation this was shot about an hour ago at 50 yards.

One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
Thanks for everything guys.

I guess it will be Hornady DGX and Woodleigh solids for me..

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Honkey:
Thanks for everything guys.

I guess it will be Hornady DGX and Woodleigh solids for me..

The Woodliegh bullets are clones of the old Kynoc bullets of old, and are very good bullets for double rifles. However, if you like Mono-metal bullets the North Fork is the way to go in your 470NE Searcy. The X-bullets have a solid bearing surface, and require the rifleing in your barrel to engrave a solid piece of copper that is pretty tough to engrave and causes a severe spike in chamber pressure just in the first 1" of the barrel till the engraveing is completed. Addtionally the solder joint between the wedges, ribs, and barrels is subject to de-lamination, and has happened to folks who post right here on this website.

The North Fork has the design that makes the mono-metal bullet safe in double rifles, even ventage double rifle that have the proper bore measurements. This is because the rifleing has only to engrave the pressure rings, and the metal displaced by the engraving by the rifleing is dumped into the grooves between the pressure rings, and the rifleing never even pouches the solid shank of the bullet. These bullets are actually easier on your rifle's bore than the old lead core steel jacketed solids. The CPS (Cup Pointed Solid) works like the x-bullet with the front expanding enough to do a lot of tissue damage and retains 100% od it's weight to cause deep straight line penetration. Nort Fork just sent me an E-mail yesterday, that they are offering a 10% discount on their bullets now.

Example:
Look the bullet over closely, and you will see that the rifleing never even touches the solid body of the North Fork bullet.

I just don't understand useing a bullet that can, and has ruined double rifles, when a good bullet is available that will do the same job without the liability.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
Thank you,

I always wondered why Notrthforks good, Barnes bad when it came to doubles.

I do like mono metal bullets as I have seen them perform so well down through the years in my rifles.

So now I am thinking, Hornady DGX for North America and Northfork solids and cup point solids in Africa.

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

one of us
posted Hide Post
Woodleigh softs are fine bullets as well.

For elephants, I prefer a Woodleigh solid for the first shot, then North Fork solids for their greater penetration.

For buff, the North Fork cup point would be a fine choice for a first shot (or a DGX or Woodleigh soft,) and then either a solid or another cup point, either way. Woodleigh solids are plenty adequate for buff. Buff do not require the peentration potential of the flat nose solids, imo.

For smaller creatures you might shoot with your double, a Woodleigh or other soft would be great, but a solid is ok and actually prefered for the tinier animals, like grysbok, diuker or Klipspringer, to miminize hide damage.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote