New
Find
Notify
Tools

William Evans 9.3 X 74
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Was over at Cabellas in FW Texas today and they had a nice William Evans 9.3 X 74. I am not very knowledgable about the William Evans guns and would probably defer to Champlin about this specific weapon. What is the group opinion (generally speaking) on their product as compared to other English doubles.
I have thought my next double would be a 450/400 and still may be but this little gun is probably a lot less expensive at $15K.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the gun on line ? Any chance of a link ?
I can only see the WE 400/360
http://www.cabelas.com/product...tegoryId%3D105933780

WE Guns - most I have seen have been very good
but suffice to say quite a few on Webley actions.

Re the 9.3 x 74R, do you know who did the conversion / rebarrel ?

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen the 400/360 in there as well. I would not know a Webley action if I saw one. It does not appear to be a conversion. I just do not know enough about the English doubles. The action has a dolls head and a lever release on the forearm. The action is case hardened and the fences are more scalloped than the one in the link.

EZ

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Look the proof marks over carefully. I'd bewilling to bet a doughnut that it's been re-bored from a 350 or 360. The X74 isn't a normal chambering.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
, The 2 Webley actions had dolls heads.

One (PHV1) looks like a clover leaf.

The Webley Screw Grip's dolls head has a small semi circular piece missing where it intersects with the Screw part of the top lever - See the 2nd Picture of the 400/360 at Cabela's above.

As poster above said, he is 100% correct.
Re the conversion, you need to check the proof marks. Was it reproofed after conversion.

If not, I'd be wary. nothing wrong with doing it, Normally plenty of meat in the barrels to go from 350 or 400/360 to 9.3 x 74R but I like to know what is what.

Hope that helps.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found it on line. It is a conversion from a 360 2 3/4. Mfg about 1926.
Just go to the Cabelas Fort Worth gun library. I do not think I would want a conversion although they state it was re-proofed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
I found it on line. It is a conversion from a 360 2 3/4. Mfg about 1926.
Just go to the Cabelas Fort Worth gun library. I do not think I would want a conversion although they state it was re-proofed.

Nothing wrong with conversions, especially if they have been re proofed.

A 9.3 in one of these guns is a nice outfit.

Will have a look at the pictures.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Re proof looks fine. All the marks are OK.

Not a bad looking gun although I prefer worn silver finish to re coloured guns.

Hope that helps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are two of them kickingh around Zim- neighter regulates well. One was re-done in Ferlach in the 1950's and 'regulated' for the 232 grn load...sadly id doesn't match modern 232grn loads and the other was re done in England but for the heavy 21g (325grn) bullet that was briefly in favour in the 1930's. Norma is once again making 21g bullets and the woodleigh 320grn are close enough but it is all a handloading option and case life is always poor...so NB- handloading not reloading Wink For that kind of price you can buy a new Heym, Krieghoff, Merkel or Zoli (and others I am sure)...

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
With the .360 No.2 Bertram brass, if you anneal the cases and fire form before loading the case life will not be poor.

I fire form using 7 gr. Bullseye behind 40 gr. kitty litter stuffed with 1 square Charmin TP. Credit for this belongs to Mr. Ken Owen. tu2

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleDon:
With the .360 No.2 Bertram brass,if you anneal the cases and fire form before loading the case life will not be poor.

For a 9.3 x 74R ?

Why would you use
1. Bertram - plenty of good brass available in 9.3

2, 360 No 2 Brass ?

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:

[QUOTE]DubleDon:For a 9.3 x 74R ?

Why would you use
1. Bertram - plenty of good brass available in 9.3

2, 360 No 2 Brass ?

No, this is for my Lang .360 N0.2.

Need the correct head stamp for the Customs folks in Zim. to figure it out. Wink

Only correct brass for now is Bertram. Jamison promises production soon.

Deo Vindice,

Don

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Sorry guys.

Too early in the AM and not enough coffee. Not paying full attention! Got off track, onto the .360 No. 2

My appologies. Smiler

Deo Vindice,

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a converted and reproofed Evans 9.3x74. There seem to be two grades and this is one of the higher grades with "from Purdy" engraved on the barrel or receiver. Think if you check the other William Evans (unconverted 360/400) at FW you can see if there is any difference other than cosmetic.

Because it was already converted, I had no qualms about having JJ install claw mounts and fit a VX3 1.5x5 1" scope. Accuracy is great with or without the scope. Hand loaded 286 gn Woodleigth softs/solids and Northfork cup points all shoot esentially to the same group. Have not tried factory loads but probably will just out of curiousity.

If I had to par back to just one rifle, this might be it. It would definately made the cut if I could keep two...

Regards,
Emory

Posts: 402 | Location: Houston | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"From Purdey" was put on WE guns because WE worked at Purdey's and so it added a bit of class to his business. I believe Purdey were not happy about it.

Grades of Webley's all come down to other factors - ejectors, engraving (various percentages), action type (Screw Grip, PHV1 etc) and others - see the Webley catalogue as it is quite comprehensive on this.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
500N is correct about Evans using "From Purdey" engraved below "William Evans" on his guns. What pissed Purdey off is that Evans was a salesman for Purdey... not a gunbuilder. So, to advertize Purdey quality was somehow carried over to Evans own business was not appreciated by those at Purdey.

Taking nothing away from the quality of this gun, it was built by Webley for William Evans. George Caswell always refers to a Webley as "The great Webley longbar action" or "Built on the supurb Webley action". The Webley is his favorite action for strength and function.
ND

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think all early vintage Evans have the "From Purdey" designation, and doubt any of the later ones do. I was handling an older one of probably standard grade earlier this year and don't recall seeing "From Purdey", - might not have looked, though...

Emory

Posts: 402 | Location: Houston | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Emory:
I don't think all early vintage Evans have the "From Purdey" designation, and doubt any of the later ones do. I was handling an older one of probably standard grade earlier this year and don't recall seeing "From Purdey", - might not have looked, though...

Emory

Without having a look at my books, I thought
1. Purdey tried by law to stop him using "from Purdey".
2. I think he stopped using "from Purdey's" at some point anyway as you suggest.