THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    A-Zoom 450 x 3.25 NE group buy.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A-Zoom 450 x 3.25 NE group buy.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted
I recently made a call to A-Zoom about getting some snap caps for the above caliber. I spoke to several folks who appeared very interested in filling the order. It has now been a month with no response. I have sent several emails simply asking if they would produce and even called many times leaving the same request via voice mail.

Maybe the group approach would get a better response.

Here is the person who I was working with. Feel free to call her and send emails. Lets just keep everyone updated on any responses we recieve.

Good luck.

R

I understand you are looking for a caliber of A-Zooms we no longer make. Are you looking for a pack or a quantity? If you could let me know I can pass this information on and hopefully have an answer for you.

Thank you,
Jane Ferretti
Lyman Products Corp.
lymansales@cshore.com
860-632-2020 x325

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Several spoke up about a group buy in the swap and sell area but I think it was dropped. I would like 4 of the 450 NE 3 1/4 as well as 4 9.3X74R's.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I emailed Lyman several times and finally they told me they would do a special order if I ordered 200. They told me they would forward my emails to their sales department for a price and two weeks later and three follow up emails has gotten no responses what so ever.

Must be nice they have so much business they can turn down orders.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
They show the 600 and 700 NE's as being stock items.. LOL, How many of those exist compared to the 450's.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I'd love to buy a couple of sets.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7592 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't the 450/400 A-Zoom snap caps work as a substitute? Obviously, they're not a perfect match, but they have the same base size.

Does anyone here use the NECG snap caps? Anything wrong with those?

One of Us
Picture of Stephen Goldfinch
posted Hide Post
Question:
If one was to use spent shells with spent primers for this same purpose, will the hammers not continue through their normal course and touch the spent primer? And does this really matter with newer guns, ie., Chapuis, Merkel, Searcy..

"Sleep When You're Dead!"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sandyhunter:
Wouldn't the 450/400 A-Zoom snap caps work as a substitute? Obviously, they're not a perfect match, but they have the same base size.

Yes, 450-400 3 1/4"NE snap caps should work with the 450 3 1/4"NE as the rim thickness is the same. tu2
450-400 3"NE has a thicker rim and would not work unless the rims were machined to the correct thickness.

Posts: 232 | Location: Queensland Australia | Registered: 04 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am thinking of mixing up some acraglass and filling in the primer hole on a case, then seating a bullet.
What do you think? More acraglass can be put in if the firing pin beats it down.
Or would something like a hard plastic carved to fit the primer pocket work better?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy some hard plastic and insert this into the priming hole with a spring on the other side.

I would suggest NOT seating a bullet in snap caps to avoid any confusion over them and ammunition.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ROSCOE:
I recently made a call to A-Zoom about getting some snap caps for the above caliber. I spoke to several folks who appeared very interested in filling the order. It has now been a month with no response. I have sent several emails simply asking if they would produce and even called many times leaving the same request via voice mail.

Maybe the group approach would get a better response.

Here is the person who I was working with. Feel free to call her and send emails. Lets just keep everyone updated on any responses we recieve.

Good luck.

R

I understand you are looking for a caliber of A-Zooms we no longer make. Are you looking for a pack or a quantity? If you could let me know I can pass this information on and hopefully have an answer for you.

Thank you,
Jane Ferretti
Lyman Products Corp.
lymansales@cshore.com
860-632-2020 x325

Roscoe,

Call Kynoch and get some real snap caps. David Little is a great guy to speak with and the product is quality.

http://www.kynochammunition.co.uk/

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Turn down, or have somebody with a lathe turn dummy primers out of acetal (Delrin) or hard nylon. While your at it, make extras.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No one at Lyman has returned my contacts with them either. They don't seem to care.

As to NECG caps, I posted over in classifieds that I looked at my NECG catalog and it says that their snap caps are not meant for dry firing practice. The A-Zoom package says theirs are ok for dry firing, cycling through an action, etc.

Use a double rifle. It just feels better.

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 190 | Location: Somewhere, I think. | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
They show the 600 and 700 NE's as being stock items.. LOL, How many of those exist compared to the 450's.

Mike, maybe they just heard about the ban on all .450s in India and Sudan. 2010-1907=103 years late.

They say their 450/400 is the 3 1/4" which would make it the same as the .450. I wonder if it is not actually for the 3" thick rim case. That one is more popular.

I told them about Hornady, Ruger, et al making rifles and ammo for the .450 NE. They remove the .450 from the catalog (part# 11404) but have a .700 NE and other rare shells.

If things are going well, most companies don't listen to mere customers. Then when hard times come, the MBAs cry in their martinis.

Posts: 190 | Location: Somewhere, I think. | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nopride2:
Turn down, or have somebody with a lathe turn dummy primers out of acetal (Delrin) or hard nylon. While your at it, make extras.

Dave

Not sure where to buy either. Does anyone have a supply source and access to a lathe? Would be a simple matter to turn some down to be a tight fit in a primer pocket and cut off to size. Shipping would just be a $.44 stamp. A dozen or two pieces would last a shooter his life.
Can anyone get this started?

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
I could get you some made like this for the 450.

How many sets do you think you need?

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Pretty nice but those look like the thick rims.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
Pretty nice but those look like the thick rims.

They are thick rims, which is why he said
"I could get you some made like this for the 450."

ie to put it another way, the same snap caps with thin rims.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Oh. Ok I was thinking of the thick rimmed 450 vs the thin ones needed here.. Good catch.

New Guy, will they be marked as 450 NE? Maybe 'Rigby' also? After all he designed it.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

one of us
posted Hide Post
New guy, I am up for a pair!
peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I as well.

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll take a pair.

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
We'll need more than 6 pair to make a run...

Anyone else need any?

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I'll take a pair.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7592 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
I'll take a pair too.

Can they be marked 450 NE and maybe Rigby?

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One pair here as well since Mike twisted my arm!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll take a pair as well.

Posts: 296 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snap caps are not difficult to make for anyone with a small metal lathe. I made many sets for my shotguns (12 and 20 ga) and recently made a pair for my 9.3x74R Chapuis.

I make a brass or aluminum body, brass cap and nylon or Delrin primer. I make the primers spring-loaded and reversible so that when they get too dinged on one side I just take off the end, remove the spring and reverse the primer. The primers are also replaceable.

Now, this is all very simple Metal Shop 101 machining, nothing fancy, no fancy set-ups (fanciest was for the taper of the 9.3x74 shell snap cap) but I found that they took an unexpected amount of time. I'm only an amateur machinist so that's part of the problem but they are a PITA to make.

You could find a local machine shop that would certainly make them for you. With a half-dozen spare double-ended "primers" you would be set for life.

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Received an email today from Lyman, min order is 200, discount price is $5 each. Doubt we can get enough people to get an order together but I am game for 10.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oxon,

Where did you get Delrin rod. McMaster-Carr lists it but I'm sure the shipping would be expensive.

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
If Snowwolfe wants 10 pair, then we can probably do that with a total of 20 pair.

just let me know what you guys want to do.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
What will it cost new_guy? If reasonable, I'm still in. I assume that these will have the thin rims. I have a pair of snap caps that won't fit due to rim thickness I believe.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
If Snowwolfe wants 10 pair, then we can probably do that with a total of 20 pair.

just let me know what you guys want to do.

No, I said I would take ONE pair of the one's you are selling. The ten refers to how many of the A Zoom snaps I would purchase.

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Update,

I just got a call from A-Zoom. They were not aware that Hornady was now offering this as ammo/components. I was told they will make a special run of 200 caps if we need them now. They will also look at adding this item back to their list for next year. In the mean time I have sent a note to Larry Potterfield asking him to help with the special order. I provided a link to this thread in my note so maybe Larry will see that we are serious. I will keep everyone interested in how things progress. If Midway agrees to the special order we can all have these in less than two months. Let’s hope for the best.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would somebody make a rough sketch with dimensions. I'd like to make a couple for my future double.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last month,
quote:
I told them about Hornady, Ruger, et al making rifles and ammo for the .450 NE.

I'm glad they called you Roscoe. It seemed a no-brainer for them. Thanks for the good news.

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Butch, I'll do you 1 better than that..
Look for a PM.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

one of us
posted Hide Post
The great thing about New Guy's snap caps is that they last for ever.

The "soft stuff" the rimer hits can be adjusted up as it wears, and it can even be totally replaced, years down the road.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a set of the NECG snap caps which I have used in my 450/400 3"NE. Here is the rub--
The caps are marked .450 and are thin rimed. They are aluminium and meant for releasing the firing pins (Not for dry firing) and for gun storage. They do not fit thick rim chambers properly as they fall into the bottom of the chamber rim area. There is about .015 differencein rim thickness. The aluminum is fragile and the rim will break out if you accidently close the action on one. Solution,
I have ordered 2 sets of caps from new_guy and
I'm sure I will be happy.

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any updates on this?