THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Chapuis double rifle in 30-06??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chapuis double rifle in 30-06??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey!

I´ve found a nice looking and good shooting Chapuis side by side in 30-06.
I like it a lot but I am a bit concerned about using this cartridge in a double rifle.
I am thinking about high pressures and failing ejectors.

Does someone have any experience with 30-06 in doubles???

I have not owned a double rifle yet and I am yearning for one and the price is right but I would prefer a 7x65R, 8x57IRS or 9,3x74R as many of us Europeans do!!

Should I buy this one or wait for another in the above mentioned calibers?!

Jim

PROUD MEMBER OF DRSS!!

Posts: 95 | Location: Sweden, Europe | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
IMO...if the price is right then buy it. The 30-06 is not a traditional double rifle caliber however I think it will make one hell of a rifle that will be a lot of fun to shoot. If your heart is set on a traditional bore then you may want to pass. As for the strength of the action...I would not let this be of much worry.

Good Luck

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Like you I'd rather have something with a rim, but for the game the little 30-06 was designed for, the rimless is not a serious draw-back! Ammo is available anyplace where hunting is allowed, and cheap, for even premium ammo.

I think you will shoot this rifle far more than one chambered for any of the larger NE rounds, which tend to be on the pricy side for ammo! Be warned, however, you will be ansering a lot of questions in your average deer camp. Also bring a lot of extra ammo with you, because evryone in that camp will want to shoot your rifle!

What you might do is give JJ at Champlin's a call and ask him if it would be feasable to rechamber to 30 Super, a rimmed cartridge designed for double rifles. If so, this would add about another $1K to the price of your rifle, but, IMO, it would also make the rifle more valuable! Don't worry about the chamber pressure in the Chapuis rifle! The 30-06 willnot hurt any quality double rifle!

There is also a Euro S/S double rifle on Champlin's chambered for 30-06, that I've been looking at with the same idea in mind.

Get yourself a double rifle, you'll not be sorry, and I assure you it will be your favorite rifle in ten minutes! Besides, we need more members in the DRSS! Wink

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your opinions!!

Always good to get some real hands-on opinions when entering a new area in hunting and shooting! Smiler

I mainly hunt for roedeer, elk and some moose here in Norway and in Sweden. They are not as big in America and I have found the 30-06 sufficient for most hunting situations.
But when it comes to wild boar and shooting over longer distances I prefer a little larger caliber like 9,3x62 or .375H&H.

There is also the possibility to rechamber it to .30R Blaser which is a European cartridge. Don´t know if it is similar to .30 Super but it has a power somewhere between 30-06 and 300 WinMag.

The price is little less than 3000 USD and then I´ll get a Zeiss C 1,5-4,5x18 and swingmount. A new Chapuis starts at around 5500-6000 USD without scope and mount so it seems like a fair price.

Well if it isn´t sold yet I might just buy it!!

And if you allow non-US citizens to join I´ll be more than happy to be a member!! cheers

Regards

Jim

PROUD MEMBER OF DRSS!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've been using a double 06 for quite some time now, its been to africa with me several times and never given any trouble whatsoever. i use it a bunch shooting bait for cats and the like, probably shot 75-100 animals with it.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good price. The .30R is just enough faster than the .30-06 that re-regulation might be required after conversion. In Europe, .30-06 and .30R Blaser are loaded to the same pressure. CIP max average pressure is 4050 BAR for both. The only real advantage for a double rifle that the .30R offers is the rim. Unless you encounter chronic extraction problems with the rimless case, the aggravation and cost of rechambering, reproving and reregulating is probably not worth the difference. In a double for dangerous game, the conversion to a rimmed shell would be a no brainer, but I probably wouldn't mess with it in a .30.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo#1:
Thanks for your opinions!!

And if you allow non-US citizens to join I´ll be more than happy to be a member!! cheers

Regards

Jim

JIMBO, the "Double Rifle Shooter's Society" (DRSS) is symbolic in nature, and all that is needed to be a member is a healthy interest in double rifles! So if you want to be a member, you are, as far as we are concerned!

WELCOME ABOARD! thumb beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know what you are seeing for prices, but www.hillrodandgun.com is selling the 93.x74R for less than the 30-06 version.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
For the gun and caliber you are interested in, I would NOT worry about ejectors failing.

Why?

Because you are not going to use that gun to hunt dangerous game. After your first two shots with this gun at game, if the ejectors fail, big deal. Now, if you are hunting dangerous game with this gun and in this caliber and the ejectors fail, well, you probably shouldn't be in the gene pool anyway.

I would not hesitate to buy it if you are interested in it. I think it would make a hell of a deer or hog gun.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you will do yourself a favor with this rifle to just stick with factory loaded ammo. the few pennies you save by reloading this caliber are not worth the potential problems if you make a slight mistake while reloading. the cal is a greeat one for europe and it will kill all your boar, moose, bear etc if you place the shot where it belongs.

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all your advices!!

Sorry to say the rifle was sold when I contacted the seller today! Frowner

So now I need to hunt for a another!

I´ll let you know what happens!

Jim
DRSS Wannabe Wink

PROUD MEMBER OF DRSS!!

posted Hide Post
Hello Jimbo.

You might want to broaden your horizon and look at the chapuis prices at french dealers.
Their prices are not inflated, bloated, ridiculus as the prices of the gundealers in Scandinavia are.
Look at
http://www.armureriejeannot.com/chapuis_express_juxtapos%C3%A9s.htm
for example, his prices are more reasonable.
But, and heres the catch, you have to speak french or find someone who does to help you.

So many guns in the world, but not enough in my safe

Posts: 13 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Or look after a Merkel 140 in Germany.

So many guns in the world, but not enough in my safe

Posts: 13 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote