New
Find
Notify
Tools

A new mistress
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have acquired a new mistress. She is from Belgium and speaks Flemish, which I hope is closer to Afrikaans than my lousy PA Dutch. She is the Browning Express rifle in 9.3x74 shown on Hendershot's Sporting Goods website. Great wood, clean bores, and shoots like a dream. First four shots less than 1.25 at fifty yards. I would have liked a Chapuis, but with the sale of a couple overpriced model 70's, she could come home and the Chapuis would remain a dream. Besides, she handles just like my old Superposed that I've been shooting since the mid sixties.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Black Fly you beat me to it. I called Lance and was told it went to a good home. Enjoy her and treat her like a lady!!! beer

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Too cool. Let us take a look at her. Post some pics!

Congratulations!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Pics plz!

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Definitely no Flemish, FN-Browning is located in Liège where French is spoken. What model did you get. I'm surprised by your comparison with Chapuis as a genuine CCS 25 double, handmade on a special double rifle action (not the newer CCS 525 based on a shotgun action)is a much finer weapon than a Chapuis ; it costs twice as much too. Here's mine in 9,3x74R, engraved and signed by FN's former master engraver José Baerten.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Hopefully the picture will be at the top of this message. First try at posting. Well, Andre, she is not the first pretty girl that lied to me, but I still like her. I am waiting for a package of documentation from Hendershot's that will have more model information. There is no model number on the gun, just European Classic and Express Rifle with calibre designation. When the paperwork gets here, I'll get back to you and perhaps you can give me more info. Mine does not have scope bases in the rib. although that would be wonderful. Might have to consider this as a possible improvement. The other thing that I don't really care for is the front site. It's a blaze orange plastic chunk. Nice for quick aquisition, but poor for precise shooting. Any idea if that was original on these guns?
Thanks for the positive comments guys.
Bfly

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
Black Fly,
Congrats! You have a fine looking Lady there!
Hope to see you at one of our shooting sessions in Pa. Keep an eye on African Big Game Hunting to see when we are getting together for another shoot!

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE
Double Rifle Shooters Society

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 241 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Black Fly
Congratulations on your 9,3.
I have used that calibre quite a bit and it is one of my favorites.

Try that orange sight in the woods before you change it, you just might like it.

If I had that double the FIRST thing I would do is have a scope fitted with claw mounts.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Bfly,
It isn't a CCS 25 (= B 25 based) action, probably a CCS 525 or earlier (NB. : the lower part of your receiver is shorter) . You can verify if the rifle was made on a shotgun receiver or on a special 20 ga size one.

In this photo of my rifle (R) action, next to my B 25 shotgun (L) action, you will notice that the rifle receiver has thicker walls and that the bottom is not hollowed out as compared to the shotgun. Also, heat treatment is different to cope with the higher rifle pressures and 2 hollow gas-screws are fitted in the right flank of the receiver. Originally, my rifle came without scope bases and I had it scoped later in Sühler claw mounts.

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Andre. I'm on the road, so will be next week before I am home and can make the comparison. It seems to me it is the rifle action, but we'll see on Tueday night. by the way, anyone know if Browning makes a quarter rib that is already set up to take a scope, or will I need to get mine milled to take mounts?
Thanks
Bfly

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
In the latest Browning catalog, the CCS525 double rifles are pictured with quarter ribs prepared for scope mount installation (with removable inserts, "à la Chapuis"). You can check this on their site :
http://www.browning-int.com/intro.html
Look for rifles, CCS 525.
Also, go see the CCS 25 in the custom shop :
http://www.browningint.com/fr/customshop/intro.html
While you're there, watch the hunting videos. They're some exciting films showing drive hunting as practised on our shores.

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Andre thanks for posting the links to those videos, they are great!
By the way, if you ever decide to sell your Browning, double rifle let me know. I'm not really into O/U double rifles, but your's is an exception to that rule! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the links. The videos explain where our Pennsylvania urge to drive deer came from. It cameover with our great grandfathers. We also do what we call driven pheasant hunts at bird hunting preserves. A group of us are placed around the base of a large hill and several hundred birds are released..read that forced to fly.. over the shooters. Really enjoyed the videos.
Bfly

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andre,
Just walked in the door and opened the safe. The cction is in fact the one on the right, the rifle action.
Thanks
Bfly

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
That's good news, Bfly. I've seen too many doubles assembled on a 20 shotgun coming loose after a while.

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.