THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Results: Reduced Loads with Trailboss Powder
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Results: Reduced Loads with Trailboss Powder
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've been thinking about reduced loads for the 470 with an eye to using them on a self-guided ele hunt in Cameroon.

I made up six rounds and tested them this past weekend. I used 400gr Hornaday pistol bullets, Fed brass, 215 mag primers and 35gr of Trailboss powder.

Velocities at 10ft from muzzles were;
Right Barrel: 1313, 1286, 1434
Left Barrel: 1199, 1294, 1264

Target below shot from bench at 25yd.s. The lower right hole is the last left which I think I pulled a bit. The group is not too bad and about an inch overall larger than with 500gr bullets at around 2150. With a bit of experimentation I think the groups could be nearly identical to those shot with the full-house loads.

Recoil was very mild as was report. I think this has potential for great practice fodder as well as low-noise hunting bullets for close range stuff like diker etc. in Cameroon.

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
Brett,

Looks like a good load. Can you tell me more about the rifle?

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

It's a William Douglas, they were imported by Cape Outfitters in the 80's. It weighs 9 pounds. It's regulation is decent and fits me well.

I've shot a couple of ele and a few buff with it.

Do you have an Evans rifle?
Brett

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
You could also look at 5744 powder for reduced loads. Make sure that you don't use any fillers with this one.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett:

It's a William Douglas, they were imported by Cape Outfitters in the 80's. It weighs 9 pounds. It's regulation is decent and fits me well.

I've shot a couple of ele and a few buff with it.

Do you have an Evans rifle?
Brett

I do have an Evans 470. I just returned from a great hunt in Zim where I took a nice elephant and buffalo with it. There's a hunt report in that section. My PH has a Douglas 470 with a lot of hunting miles on it.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, the TB is giving good results and is safe. I think I'll stick with it. Thanks for the suggestion, however.

470, Just read your report - great ele! Was it Niel's 470? Would love to see a pic of that rifle...

Brett