THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Anyone try Norma PH in 500 NE yet?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone try Norma PH in 500 NE yet?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted
I should soon have my Merkel in 500 Nitro and have already ordered my reloading supplies. Being a big fan of nickel-plated brass in straight-sided cases and since Norma PH ammo is built on these I thought I might get a couple of boxes of this stuff to try (might be the first factory loaded ammo I have bought in more than a decade).
Any experience with their big-bore stuff? My search found some info on it prior to release but nothing since.

Thanks,
Paul

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3464 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I shot some 416 Remington Norma PH (semi big bore), it was accurate and the FMJ and Softs shoot to the same point of impact. The only drawback was the MV was 2060 versus 2150 advertised for the 450 grain bullet.

I tried selling a couple of boxes relatively cheap on the classified forum, but no luck.

Also,it is some damn fine brass to reload.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot quite a lot of the Norma African PH ammo in 458 Lott; Woodleigh 500 gr softs & solids.

I killed two Cape Buffalo a couple of months ago in Masailand TZ with this ammo. Worked like a champ. Absolutely no problems recommending this ammo.
Plus, Norma brass is among the best IMO.

Jack Hood

DRSS

Posts: 253 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 19 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not shot Norma PH ammo. However, Cabelas now has Hornady .500 NE ammo for sale for $112.99 for a box of 20 ($6.00/shell). This is way cheaper than Westley Richards ammo ($15.00/shell).

Posts: 55 | Location: West Point, NY | Registered: 16 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500straight:
I have not shot Norma PH ammo. However, Cabelas now has Hornady .500 NE ammo for sale for $112.99 for a box of 20 ($6.00/shell). This is way cheaper than Westley Richards ammo ($15.00/shell).

500straight:
Email sent

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3464 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote