THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Double rifles in smaller calibers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double rifles in smaller calibers
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted
who makes double rifles in smaller calibers? A friend is wanting one in (get ready) 460 S&W for a hog gun. Says he's thought about making one, has a buddy who tinkers with this stuff.
What do you guys think? Has it/could it be done?
Didn't mean to change the subject and am still interested to know who makes smaller calibers.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chapuis makes some nice ones in smaller rifle calibers, like .30-06. Browning made some in .270 and .30-06 that turn up used from time to time. Merkel also made some in the 8x57 and .30-06 class. Rizzini makes some in similar calibers in o/u configuration, as did Beretta and Zoli. S.I.A.C.E. did hammer guns in .45-70, which would make nice pig rifles. Look around on Gunbroker, Auctionarms, Gunsinternational and Gunsamerica and you'll find a plethora of them.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Have seen some nice 45/70's in a Siace and a Dumas I believe in doubles..Great pig rifles...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
help me out here, the 460 s&w is that a high pressure round ?
if so then i think thet your friend would be better suited with a 45-70 of some ilk.

best

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Didn't mean to change the subject and am still interested to know who makes smaller calibers.

..All doublerifle gunmakers will you a nice smallbore doublerifle..Just start in alfabetic order from Brown,Mckay to Woodward,James..
Whats the problem?? Wink

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the 460 runs over 60,000 psi. That could be done in an O/U but the cost is probably several times more than your friend is expecting. The easy way to go is a Remington double in 45-70. Only $900 plus another $100 the get the triggers right unless he can do that himself.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
That's some good information. Thanks to all for your thoughts.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Heym 88B can be ordered in 7x57R and 7x65R

http://www.shooting-center.de/lwgw.htm

Posts: 438 | Location: Germany | Registered: 15 June 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Phil T
posted Hide Post
I have a Merkel 141 in 8x57IRS that weighs around 6.6 lbs. The rifle is very well made and points very fast. So far I am impressed with the calibre. I wanted to try a DR for tight cover Whiteails & black bear and did a lot of searching manufactures websites. The Merkel ofered the best value IMO. Hope you find your dreeam gun soon.

Posts: 10 | Location: Nova Scotia | Registered: 29 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the 9,3x74R is the best allround choice for a double rifle under 40 calibre.

I have taken quite a few deer and wild pigs with mine, as well as black bear, turkey, coyotes, and even some varmint pests such as raccoons, armidillos, beaver etc.

I have also used it for a lot in Zimbabwe for plains game, as well as cape buff and elephant.

I have shot 7x57R, 7x65R and 8x57R doubles and fine them to be most useful as well. In fact I now have a double rifle drilling in 308x308x20ga., with an extra set of barrels in 308x20gax20ga. It has become my favorite rifle for the deer lease.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Phil T
posted Hide Post
NE 450 #2

What did you use the 8x57 DR for? Can you tell me about the rifle and it's performance. I love all the Drs but only have the one Merkel in 8x57 for now. I do dream of a 450 BPE DR but they are a wee bit hard to come by. Your drilling sound fantastic. Pics?

Posts: 10 | Location: Nova Scotia | Registered: 29 May 2009Reply With Quote