THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    2 1/2 inch six shot group 100m (110yards)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2 1/2 inch six shot group 100m (110yards)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gun: Krieghoff B5 Classic 500/416NE. 410 gr woodleighs at around 2400 fps.

I am shooting these groups (from sitting position, no sling or rest) and am wondering if this is normal accuracy for a double rifle? My expectations were groups twice the size of what my gun is printing.I am not shooting any better with my boltgun in .338WM. And I am not a great shot so I am probably accounting for a lot of the spread.

Posts: 446 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Sitting, no rest? Heck I'd call that great shooting. I'd call that MOB Minute of Buffalo!

Better gauge of accuracy would be with your hand resting on bags or sticks (Standing).

Tell ya the truth, I just go book a hunt!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's everybody's dream group !!!

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1587 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So much for the naysayers here in Norway saying doubles are inaccurate. I just love my K-Gun. I'm gonna cry when I bang my rifle up, get rain and snow in the barrels and on the wood...Moose better wach out in a month Wink

Planning cape buffalo hunting in a couple years. Have to save up money for that trip...

Posts: 446 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Just goes to show what a few of us have been saying all along. A properly regulated double rifle isn't just a short range weapon.

one of us
posted Hide Post
DON"T take it moose hunting. You will get yourself killed. That damned cocking device will get you trampled! I have a scope on my K gun (same caliber) and it shoots close to that (from a rest) at 100 yards.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Just goes to show what a few of us have been saying all along. A properly regulated double rifle isn't just a short range weapon.

Those extra leaf sights marked 100, 200yrds are not there cause they look pretty next time your at your local club if they have a gong range put them to use you will be pleasentlty surprised at the results...

Posts: 1626 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zephyr:
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:

Those extra leaf sights marked 100, 200yrds are not there cause they look pretty next time your at your local club if they have a gong range put them to use you will be pleasentlty surprised at the results...

Amen! The flip-ups are not just decoration!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations and great shooting from that kind of support. Like many others here, I truly believe once you have a properly regulated double rifle, and have the right loads for it, there's no reason why it cannot be effective out to 200 yards with a scope.

With my eyesight, I am limiting myself to 50 yards with iron sights.

I have a new to me Merkel .375 H&H, and at 100 yards through my Zeiss scope, I am getting 1" groups. That's good enough for me.

In fact, I am going coyote hunting with it tomorrow. I hope to be able to post a photo of a dead doggie on Monday.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Norsk, that's fabulous shooting. You should be teaching/coaching.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote