THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    So. California Chapter of DRSS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So. California Chapter of DRSS
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Saturday was our first get together of the DRSS So. Cal Chapter. With such short notice only three of us made it out to West End Gun Club to shoot our doubles. What a demonstration it was … we had spectators watching and asking questions all day. Paul M. brought two Ten bore rifles and one bolt gun. Paul offered to let Jack and I shoot the rifles first with Paradox and a few rounds of black power. What a gun and what a shove with the black powder. Doesn’t kick like a modern NE, more of a 2 foot shove from a truck with three feet of flame. I don’t think you could hunt night time crop raiding elephants, you and your PH would be blind after the first shot. No spotting scope needed! The hole is one inch in diameter. The ten bores regulated better with black power and a lot more fun to shoot.
Jack and I brought our 470 NE Heym’s. We shot a 50 yard steel plate and paper targets off sticks and free hand. It was Paul’s first time to shoot a 470… you should have seen his eyes after the first shot (full loads). We can’t wait to shoot Paul and Gene’s 500’s, hopefully in the near future. Paul hit the steel plate off hand 2 times out of 2 times with 2 seconds between shots (at 50 yards, that’s good shooting). We also played a game we call Buff hunting. You stand holding the gun as if you were looking for buffalos and somebody says buffalo. You shoulder the gun, aim and shoot two rounds as quickly as possible making sure you hit the 6” steel plate each time. We also scoped my rifle and shot at 100 and 180 yards. The 180 yard steel we hit 4 out of 5 times on an average. We also shot 300 RUM, 375 H&H, 22’s and a 358. There were grape fruit size targets at the 200 yard and all were able hit them with the mod 70 375 H&H every time.
What a day off fun and comroderly, hope to see the rest of you next time… got any dates?
John

NRA Member
SCI Member & DSC Member
Double Rifle Shooter's Society So. Cal. Chapter

Posts: 62 | Location: So. Cal. | Registered: 16 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These gatherings are great fun for all who attend.

I've been to a few here in the north eastern USA &

each time was truly enjoyable. Fine guys and rifles

that made us all wear big grins all day. Big Grin

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
These gatherings are great fun for all who attend.

That's what the DRSS is all about! Enjoying the fun of getting together with friends, new and old!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Congratulations 375John on the first meeting of the So. Cal DRSS! beer

Our first one was only five guys for a wild boar hunt at the Camp Cooley Ranch near Ridge, Texas. At that time we were just a few guys who liked to hunt and shoot with our double rifles. Three of us from Texas, and two from Oklahoma.

Left to right: Rusty (Rusty K.),PWN375 (Perry N),400 Nitro Express,(Mark C), MacD37(Mac M), and PWN375's Uncle Mike!

As you can tell it was cold that day and raining every hour or so. Fun was had by all, Mark,and Mike both took good Boars on thet first hunt. The name DRSS was coined by Rusty at a shoot& hoot in Houston, Texas The next summer, where some more members showed up. From that first hunt at Camp Cooley, we now have members all over the world. We have even one in Moscow Russia, and he is forming a chapter there as well!

So gentlemen, welcome aboard! thumb You guys need to attend the Dallas Safari Club show in Jan, where a real meeting of the AR, and DRSS people get together for the show, a dinner, and a get together at one of the hotels, and sometimes have a hunt at one of the ranches here for wild Boar with the double rifles. We are not sure there will be one next year however, because our man at the ranch quit, and owner closed down all hunting on the rance till he can be replaced!

Anyway, shoot straight, and then pull the OTHER trigger!
.............. BOOM............. holycow

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I'm going to have to buy one of the new Luxus doubles just so I can join up.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:

That looks like a big bore double you have as your avitar! Big Grin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I as a member and attendee of the first meeting and shoot of the SoCal Chapter of the DRSS would also like to express what a good time I had. It was great to meet both Jack and John and they made me feel as though I was and old friend. It was the first time I have had an opportunity to shoot a recently manufactured double. There were two Heym 470’s at the shoot. I was impressed with their balance and accuracy even out to 180yds. John had brought both soft and solids for his 470 and he let me shoot it at will. I brought two 10 bore paradoxes, a 6 dram gun and 8 dram gun with both black powder and bluedot loads. I have to admit my shoulder really got worked over. Both John and Jack are knowledgeable reloaders and better than your average shooters. I also had the opportunity to meet Jack’s cousin a 1rst sergeant in the Marine Corps, a veteran of the Gulf wars and a true American hero. He had to leave early and I didn’t get a chance to thank him for his service. But what do you say to someone who as a life choice has put commitment above personal gain and put himself in harms way in order to protect me and my family? Thank you just doesn’t seem to cut it. Jack please pass my thoughts and prayers on to him. I too am looking forward to meeting all you potential members at our next shoot.

One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Paul,

Thank you for your kind words for the marine hero. I had to pause and reflect back on what you said. You are right, thank you just does not cut it.

Anyway, the shoot was a hoot. Paul's rifles look like they can be used in Jurassic Park, they are awesome! Unfortunately, I did not shoot them as I had some sighting in business to deal with. Upcoming sheep hunt - leave tomorrow! So I did not want those big boys to jar a filling loose, while I still had to dial in a peashooter for 500 yards.

But next time for sure. Paul and John bring so much to the table, thanks men!

Can we do another in September?

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:

That looks like a big bore double you have as your avitar! Big Grin

That double would be FAR more expensive! dancing

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote