THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    shorten butttock, spoil regulation?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

shorten butttock, spoil regulation?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Am looking at a side by side Chapuis 9.3x74R, very long 16" pull, must have been made for a giant. I would have to cut it to 14" or even 13 3/4". Will this alter the regulation?

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It shouldn't affect regulation. It will affect balance which may alter the 'way' it shoots. Which might not be a bad thing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's doubtful that it will affect your regulation. You most likely have a knowledge of this fact but I thought I would put my 2 cents in. Your length of pull on a double will as a rule be longer than a bolt gun. My length of pull on a bolt gun is 14.25 inches while my doubles are 14.75 inches, so you might not have to remove as much as you think. Make sure you get checked out by a good gunsmith that knows doubles before you start hacking away.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Decided in the end not to bid on it - London auction - because taking two inches off the back will make the buttplate too small.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
vigillinus

I would see if you can get it for a good price. Most people add a good recoil pad so cutting isn't a issue. I would get fitted by some one who knows how to fit you to a double rifle.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote