Find
Notify
Tools

J. A. Hunter's .500 Double
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
I am sure someone on here will know, what was the maker of the .500 double that J.A. Hunter used for many years? I recall that it was a Boswell, but have not been able to confirm that. Was it a 3" or a 3 1/4"?

Thanks.

Mike

Posts: 21411 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't want to talk about it. I had the chance to buy that gun cheap. Big mistake! I don't remember the detail about the gun but pretty sure it was a Boswell and a 3 inch.

Sam

Posts: 2833 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wasn't it sold a few years ago by one of the big dealers in the US ?

Champlins or someone ?

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I believe it was a Boswell 3".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36886 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Somebody wrote something about that rifle on AR a while back. I think it was on that best rifle for ele thread.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36886 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe that it was a Boswell .500 3inch. I think I remember Caswell telling me that it was with a collector in Oklahoma. I'm pretty sure he is aware of it's location. There is a paragraph or two in Tony Sanchez-Arino's new book, in the chapter on Hunter, wherein Hunter offered Tony one of his double rifles. I think it was the .500 but will have to reread it this evening and report back.

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
By the by, Tony couldn't afford to purchase it at that time to his great regret. Thought it was offered for 600 or 650 GBP's. Not quite sure. Came with ammo as I remember.

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 500 he talks about in his book and that he is pictured with was a Holland&Holland.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
Hi,
It was a .500 N.E. Boswell. According to Ken Stewart that was an apprentice under John, they actually shot a lot of Rhino with .500 B.P.E ammunition in the Boswell, as they couldn't get Nitro ammo from the Government.

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
You know why I love this website? Because someone can come on here and ask what kind of double AJ Hunter had and it isn't imediately followed by two questions. One: Who's AJ Hunter? Two: What's a double? Man I love this place!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote