THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Worth Close Examination If Shopping
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Worth Close Examination If Shopping
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have a peek...

http://champlinarms.com/Defaul...StyleID=3&GunID=1883

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking great caliber good maker
decent price what about the barrels being cut back to 25 " ?? and can you get it imported to Canada ???

Posts: 540 | Location: British Columbia Canada  | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjr:
decent price what about the barrels being cut back to 25 " ?? and can you get it imported to Canada ???

I have the same gun but by Rigby.

Cutting the barrels would be a vast improvement over the original length
and make it a real dandy hunting gun.

Whoever did it obviously knew what they were doing IMHO.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
quote:
Originally posted by sjr:

I have the same gun but by Rigby.

Cutting the barrels would be a vast improvement over the original length
and make it a real dandy hunting gun.

Whoever did it obviously knew what they were doing IMHO.

500N, I agree with you on "useable barrel length" on a double, its counterintuitive to have long range barrels on a short range weapon. I don't understand it either.

Nganga

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3554 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nganga

It's because that's how Webley made them.

I have and have handled enough DR's to know that the 450's they made had too long barrels, yet I have a 450/400 3 1/4" that is perfect with the 28" barrels, although it would be even better with 26 inch barrels IMHO.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
Nganga

It's because that's how Webley made them.

I have and have handled enough DR's to know that the 450's they made had too long barrels, yet I have a 450/400 3 1/4" that is perfect with the 28" barrels, although it would be even better with 26 inch barrels IMHO.

500N,
I think you missed my question. I don't understand why, it makes zero sense. long barrels on a 50 yard rifle.

That being said, I love DR's but don't know shit about them. It just seems like tits on a nun to me.

Nganga

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3554 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nganga:

500N,
I think you missed my question. I don't understand why, it makes zero sense. long barrels on a 50 yard rifle.

That being said, I love DR's but don't know shit about them. It just seems like tits on a nun to me.

Nganga

The length of the barrels has nothing to do with the range - my 22" 500 Nitro is just as accurate as my 26" one.

The length of the barrels just makes handling so much nicer - short barreled DR's are great in brush, bush, trees etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
500N, thats exactly my point, why long barrels then? it adds nothing but makes it weigh more and less agile in the bush. 28" barrels? my three DR'S are all 24

Nganga

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Because when they made these guns at the beginning,
they were generally made too heavy (ie a nice strong
action) and too long barrels.

That's just my HO.

That action is (I think) a 500 action.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
You guys ever heard of John Taylor?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19366 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When nitro double first came out in the late 1800s and early 1900s. gunmakers were still thinking in terms of black powder rifles. Those had long, 28" or 30' to maximise velocity with black powder. They were also necessarily heavy. It took a while to realize that they could use shorter barrel lengths and lighter weight rifles when using smokeless pwder and jacketed bullets. 28" barrels were common in the early years and most that you see now were made pre-1910. After that 26" and 24" barrels became standard.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
When nitro double first came out in the late 1800s and early 1900s. gunmakers were still thinking in terms of black powder rifles. Those had long, 28" or 30' to maximise velocity with black powder. They were also necessarily heavy. It took a while to realize that they could use shorter barrel lengths and lighter weight rifles when using smokeless pwder and jacketed bullets. 28" barrels were common in the early years and most that you see now were made pre-1910. After that 26" and 24" barrels became standard.

465H&H

Thanks,
Thats the answer I was looking for.

Nganga

Formerly "Nganga"

one of us
posted Hide Post
My 450 No2 has 28" barrels.

It handles and balances perfectly.

I have not found it unwieldly in thick bush.

I have shot cape buff as close as 12 yards ,not counting finishers, and 5 elephants with it at 6 yards or less.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nganga,

you have to understand British logic. Most of the pre-WWI hunters referred to 50 caliber and smaller as "Toys" and useful only on plains game. They shot these rifles a couple hundred yards as a matter of course. Look at the beautiful express rifles with five leaf rear sights, graduated to 500 yards from the era.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lovely firearm.

Army & Navy was a very interesting company. It sold, under its own brand name, rifles and shotguns actually manufactured by EVERYBODY, including all of the "big names"...including Jas. W. Purdey & Son. I have read that most A&N were made "in the trade," meaning basically in Birmingham. Champlin's notice does not mention the real culprit.

Can any of you DG guys find clues?

Did I mention that that is a lovely firearm?

Posts: 490 | Location: middle tennessee | Registered: 11 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Nganga,

you have to understand British logic. Most of the pre-WWI hunters referred to 50 caliber and smaller as "Toys" and useful only on plains game. They shot these rifles a couple hundred yards as a matter of course. Look at the beautiful express rifles with five leaf rear sights, graduated to 500 yards from the era.

Rich
DRSS

I seriously doubt there were many plains game shot at 200+ yds then or now, with a DR.

As for 500 yds, as the great John McEnroe used to say........."you can't be serious".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice gun, good price I think, bit those old
British bastards didn't care about wounding game at long range, they just go find another subject

But, IMHO

I'd rather have a new Heym 88B PH in 450 3 1/4
for $ 17,000 from Chris Sells. Better steel and warranty.
Check out HeymUSA inventory

Study long, study wrong -- go with your gut.
Good Hunting
Tetonka

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
the great John McEnroe used to say........."you can't be serious".

John, the "great" John McEnroe also said a bunch of other things as well!!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tetonka:
I'd rather have a new Heym 88B PH in 450 3 1/4
Better steel and warranty.

+1
Or a VC, the hardness of the steel much better after WWII that is a big plus for a rifle that is going to be shot hundreds of times a year IMO.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote