Find
Notify
Tools

Merkel Scope mounts
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted
I have a new Merkel 141 in 8x57jrs that I would like to scope. The rib is cut in two places and has 'fillers' in it. The rear 'filler' looks to be some type of scope base as it is slightly higher and wider than the rib and is beveled as if something is supposed to attach to it. The block is held in by two allen screws. The front block is dovetailed into the rib and is held in place by a small set screw in the center. I no longer have a mill or I would make up bases myself but it surely seems it is built for some type of mount and it would be a simple job to install if I had it. I have contacted GSI and they indicate Merkel does not produce a mount but their gunsmith could fit one and they would be happy to have him quote me a price. I have emailed NECG twice to see in they have bases and rings but they have not answered. I also emailed Talley to see if they produce a blank type base that could be adapted. Have not heard from them either.I have put Ruger bases milled from a quarter rib into the rib openings of a Chapuis so I know it's really a rather simple procedure. As many people who have doubles they want to scope and with precut ribs to accept a mount I'm amazed no one knows who has one and has to resort to very expensive installations of claw mounts. Even claw mounts should be a simple matter to install on this gun if some one made them. Any help in this would be appreciated. I'll get this sucker going yet. I'm on top of the loads now just need a sighting system these 72 year old eyes can see.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
ZIMBABWE, Tomo577 has Merkel mounts I think! He stated in another string that he had these, and maybe they could be modified for another make double rifle, I think a Chapuis! You might send him a PM and ask! Hope this helps! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have a most unusual Merkel. I have looked at lots of 140's and 141's and yours will be the first new gun I have seen or heard of with a dovetail already cut with a filler. The correct base for the dovetail looks like a Redfield type base with a dovetail. The block you mention is what is used as the rear base and comes standard. Merkel (GSI) should be able to get you a set of rings and the front base but they are not cheap. I can get a set from Europe but the value of the dollar stinks right now and the cost will probably be close to $600.
You had mentioned your 141 did not have the barrel regulating system, but rather the wedge seen on the 140. Are you 100% sure its a M 141 and not a 140. If you get a chance throw it on a scale and measure the width of the frame.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tomo 577 DOES NOT have merkel mounts !

i can supply claw mounts for you to put on

or possibly a german swing mount.

i would need to know what scope you plan to use to be able to give you the correct mounts for you to start fitting.

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Kebco,
The box is marked Model 141 and the Part No. on the box is 86.141.857 Barrels 21.6" and there are no other markings on the gun itself. I have no doubt it is a Model 141.
tomo577,
I would probably put a Leupold 1" either straight tube or one with not larger than 40mm objective. Do you have bases that fit the rib cuts on this model. Rapid change is not one of my requirements. Even with dangerous game I have never seen the split second need to remove a scope. That's just me and my opinion I'm sure others have this requirement. If you have something that would fit please let me know price and availability. A PM is fine.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zimbabwe:
Kebco,
tomo577,
Rapid change is not one of my requirements. Even with dangerous game I have never seen the split second need to remove a scope. That's just me and my opinion I'm sure others have this requirement. .

Zimbabwe , I think in the case of the little 8MM double the scope would likely be used far more than the irons, so you are correct in your take on QD rings and bases in that case.

However, I think you, like a lot of others, have the QD thing backwards, with most larger doubles! The scope is carried in a case on the belt untill needed, the rifles are mostly carried with open sights, and when a very percision shot is needed to tread a shot through a tiny hole in the bush to a target, or a long shot presents it's self out there, the scope in installed, for that shot! The idea is to have a scope that is immediately available that will be absolutely zeroed when clipped on the rifle, for a precision shot. Or to have a lighted reticle scope to use on your double for lion or leopard from a blind in poor light!
beer

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
MacD37,
I fully agree with you about the use on larger doubles but in MOST of these cases the scope is put on deliberately and does not require split second attachment. That's basically the point I was making about the speed required to make the change with people arguing between the miliseconds lost between swing and claw. The same thing applies whether it is a bolt or a double.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
Zimbabwe
I think that claw mounts are the strongest mounts.
However the Chapuis pivot mount on my 9,3 double has worked perfectly, and take only a few milli seconds longer to take of than claw mounts.

It is possible to mount a larger objective scope on a double with pivot mounts.

I also think that your 8x57 double will be an excellent hunting rifle.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
450 No2,
I will probably put claw mounts from tomo577 on my Merkel with a VariX III 1.5x5. Looking forward to enjoying it.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zimbabwe:
MacD37,
I fully agree with you about the use on larger doubles but in MOST of these cases the scope is put on deliberately and does not require split second attachment. That's basically the point I was making about the speed required to make the change with people arguing between the miliseconds lost between swing and claw. The same thing applies whether it is a bolt or a double.

I agree, as I said in the post before this one, quoted below:

quote:
Zimbabwe , I think in the case of the little 8MM double the scope would likely be used far more than the irons, so you are correct in your take on QD rings and bases in that case.

On small doubles there is no need for QUICK removal,and this is the reverce of most uses of scopes on most double rifles. As I said on your 8mm you may use the scope all the time, but there is a need for the scope to return to zero if it is necessary to remove it for any reason. Ammo to re-zero will be a huge loss in the field. SO, even if your mounts are not quick change, still they must return to zero.

In any event, any double rifle from .4oo down should be scoped in QD rings and bases, IMO!
That little 8mm has to be a joy to hunt with! beer

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
This one is easy. Call GSI and speak to Herbert Wahlmuth. He is the ferlach trained gun smith there. He installed the claw mounts on my Merkel 8x57 and they work perfectly as dose the other 8 sets of claw mounts he's done for me. You might ask his openion. If he likes another mount like EAW or Merkel i'd go with it. I've had good results with them all.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Zim that will be a perfect set up.

Claw mounts just cannot be beat IMHO. I like to use iron sights even on my 9,3.
If fact before my first trip to Zim I "forced" my self to hunt some pigs, and plink at the deerlease with the scope to get used to it.

I have actually started out hunting in the early am then taking off the scope when the light got good enough to use the iron sights.

Once I had a pig in high grass about 25 0r 30 yards away. He was constantly feeding, turning and moving around. With irons not only could I not tell where to aim, it was hard to tell head from tail.
I silently installed the scope [Chapuis Pivot mount] and one shot later the pig was down.

Both black bears taken with the 9,3 were with iron sights.

I like QUICK QD mounts

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote