Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Retumbo -470NE
 Login/Join

posted
Has anyone tried Retumbo for reloading 470NE, Hogdon shows lower pressures and no need for any case filler.

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
My guess is it might be hard to regulate as you will have more barrel time. But you never know until you try.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I would think that Retumbo would be way too slow-burning. Rel 15 has been my choice in DRs.

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ish, Give IMR 7977 a try. I had really good luck with it in my 470NE

470 Nitro Express and IMR 7977 powder-A positive reloading experience

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Retumbo is definitely not the powder for DR's. I've used RL15 with a foam filler.....easy to make your own.

Gary

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I was picking up some pistol powder and Retumbo was sitting there so I thought I would try it. 122 grains regulated very well. I have been using IMR 7977 and the only difference would be lower pressure.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Historically and for good reason Id opt for IMR-4831 or IMR-4350 in most doubles..Hodgen 4831 and 4350 is also satisfactory..These powders have been working for ions..Ive played with others but always returned to the above in that they get more velocity at less pressure..I know others that use several different powders and Ive tried their loads, but apparently they had no chronograph..I sent one group on a buffalo hunt, all had new Searcys and they went to great lengths to get super accurate loads..Had a hard time killing their buffs, got back home and I chronographed their super loads, 933 FPS, go figure on that one!! homer

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote