New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trigger pull
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm still struggling with the question of the trigger pull on my Merkel 375 H&H double. They started out at 7.5 on the right and 10.5 on the left. I had them reduced to 7 and 9 and I still find it difficult to shoot. I just can't squeeze off a shot when the trigger pull is that heavy. I have recieved conflicting opinions on what they should be. Some say it should be like a shotgun: 4 to 4 1/2 pounds. Others say it should not be less than 7 pounds.
Some say that if the trigger pull is too light the first shot will jar the second round off. I am having the trigger pull reduced to 5 pounds each. Then I'll shoot it with one live round and one with primer only to see if it jars that second round off.
What I would like to know is what is the trigger pull on your double rifle?

Posts: 84 | Location: southern california | Registered: 16 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO, yours are way too high.

I have all of my hunting DR's set to 3 - 3.5lbs for the front trigger and 4 - 4.5 lbs for the rear trigger.

That way they are all the same.

You will need to decide where you want yours set but I used what I like
on my Bolt Actions (approx 3 - 3.5 lbs) as my starting point

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What he said!

If the second trigger is set to anywhere over three pounds and the recoil of the first barrel jars loose the hammer of the second barrel, the sear was improperly fitted and it is the fualt of the gunsmith, not the rifle.

Take 500N's rifles, of which he has several with a hell of alot more recoil than a 375H&H, or my most powerful, which also has a hell of a lot more recoil than a 375H&H. Our triggers are set similarly, but we have no trouble with the recoil of the first barrel jarring loose the hammer of the second barrel.

(My heaviest recoiling rifle, and I suspect some of 500N's, has intercepting sears, which will prevent a barrel from firing unless the trigger for that barrel is pulled, and so prevent the second barrel from firing should the hammer slip from its notch on the sear. But I have never has my primary sears slip either, that I could tell, and I am all but certain that I would notice a different trigger pull.)

But a crisp and clean 5lb trigger may suit you fine for rifle likely to weigh upward of eight pounds, like yours is likely to.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentlemen. It is comforting to hear that other prople have doubles with a fairly light trigger pull. I'll post the results of my experience when I get the rifle back.

Posts: 84 | Location: southern california | Registered: 16 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
RG, sent you a pm , but just had my double trigger weight measured both triggers at 3 lbs. Crisp and smooth break.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer 4 and 5 or even 6 on a very hard recoiling gun.