THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    What double rifle grip allows best recoil management?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What double rifle grip allows best recoil management?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My Kodiak Safari double rifle (double triggers) was delivered a few minutes ago. I'll allow the metal to reach ambient temperature [in a few hours] before I open the shipping container to begin futzing with it.

I know it has a straight grip. I have restocked all other straight grip-stocked rifles I own, or have owned, to semipistol grip or pistol grip because I believe I can control the rifle - that is, manage recoil - better with such grips. (However, I prefer straight grip on side-by-side shotguns having double triggers because I really do use the quick choice of chokes when bird hunting.)

Some Kodiak double guns - usually shotguns! - have been available with Pedersoli's semipistol grip. While I have not handled or seen any Kodiak with semipistol grip, photographs show it to strongly resemble Winchester/USRAC's 1886 rifle (the version with 26-inch barrel and crescent butt), a graceful shape I have fired and appreciated.

Okay, finally to the questions. Those of you who shoot large bore side-by-side rifles - what grip shape among the three do you prefer? Why?

If I choose to alter the grip to semipistol or pistol grip, can this be achieved by having the stock maker affix wood to the existing buttstock and shape and refinish as needed? Or is it more cost effective to replace the existing stock (would this include foreend wood also?)
Am I asking valid questions? If I am not, please respond to the questions I should have asked - but did not.
A question that has zero to do with grip shape.

Those of you who shoot large bore side-by-side rifles - what barrels' length do you prefer? That is, if you have the choice of selecting barrels' length, rather than being force to accept whatever their length happens to be on any used rifle you may have acquired, what barrels' length would that be? Why?

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1513 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would love to own and shoot a straight gripped double rifle in a modest cartridge, but that said, I believe an open pistol grip, of the type the English use on their double rifles, is the best compromise between pointability, double triggers and recoil management.

BTW, my Pedersoli double in 45/70 has the open or semi pistol grip.

A good stock maker can do wonders with adding wood, and with a combination of skill and luck, can often closely match wood color and grain. Adding a grip would be a whole lot cheaper than restocking. I would suggest shooting the rifle to determine if a grip is nessecary. If so, I would recomend talking to Paul Chapman at Griffin & Howe at their New Jersey location regarding adding a grip.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:
I would love to own and shoot a straight gripped double rifle in a modest cartridge, but that said, I believe an open pistol grip, of the type the English use on their double rifles, is the best compromise between pointability, double triggers and recoil management.

A good stock maker can do wonders with adding wood, and with a combination of skill and luck, can often closely match wood color and grain. Adding a grip would be a whole lot cheaper than restocking. I would suggest shooting the rifle to determine if a grip is nessecary. If so, I would recomend talking to Paul Chapman at Griffin & Howe at their New Jersey location regarding adding a grip.

JPK
JPK:

Many thanks for the information. I have done some preliminary futzing. Don't know if the rifle shoots well. Don't know if I can shoot the rifle well. It appears to be well made and meticulously assembled.

I have a question about foreend wedge, that is punched out to allow barrels to be removed from rifle stock. The retailer who sold me the Kodiak Safari rifle has the wedge entering its wedge plate FROM THE RIGHT SIDE (with rifle mounted at your shoulder). The wedge does not appear to be an elegant fit. Has the wedge been inserted from the wrong side?

I will be betting the farm that I can achieve an acceptable cone of fire using both barrels. The installed pair of flip-up open sights is an arrangement I hope to "deaccession." Brockman has an elegant wing-protected adjustable aperture sight assembly that appears to fit and blend into the rifle nicely. If I can achieve that cone of fire . . .

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1513 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the semi= pistol grip on hard kickers .375 and above. Grip the trigger hand
firmly but no strangle hold with a loose trigger finger, pull the butt stock into the pocket of your shoulder, keep your thumb along the side of the upper tang or safety area pointed toward the barrels (do not wrap around the wrist of the stock), take a fine bead and squeeze the trigger when on target. The "off hand" should be firm on the barrels or the end of the forearm depending on configuration for stability and support. Consult "Shooting the English Double" and have fun
Good shooting

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think that you are right. In fact in UK it was also traditional to have such a grip on the old 3" chambered wildfowling shot guns and even some of the 2 3/4" chambered guns (at the time when when these traditionally fired an 1 1/4 ounce load) for the reasons you mention.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found a straight gripped Double Rifles felt
a bit weird in the hands.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
I found a straight gripped Double Rifles felt
a bit weird in the hands.

Might not if your SxS shotguns had the straight grip. most of mine do, though a 10ga has an open, Prince of Whales or semi pistol grip. I don't find any issue switching back and forth, but I do believe that straight gripped guns are more pointable, quicker and allow better "leading hand" form for moving targets.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Naphtali:
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:

JPK
JPK:

Many thanks for the information. I have done some preliminary futzing. Don't know if the rifle shoots well. Don't know if I can shoot the rifle well. It appears to be well made and meticulously assembled.

I have a question about foreend wedge, that is punched out to allow barrels to be removed from rifle stock. The retailer who sold me the Kodiak Safari rifle has the wedge entering its wedge plate FROM THE RIGHT SIDE (with rifle mounted at your shoulder). The wedge does not appear to be an elegant fit. Has the wedge been inserted from the wrong side?

I will be betting the farm that I can achieve an acceptable cone of fire using both barrels. The installed pair of flip-up open sights is an arrangement I hope to "deaccession." Brockman has an elegant wing-protected adjustable aperture sight assembly that appears to fit and blend into the rifle nicely. If I can achieve that cone of fire . . .

I will try to remember to look at my rifle tonight to see which way the wedge faces. First thought is that yours is backward and should enter from the right side, but don't hold me to this.

My rifle has one rear sight. I have not gotten around to shooting it, though I have owned it a year or so, but will soon. I have had good success finding loads that shoot to regulation in double rifles, and I expect no different from the Padersoli. Read Graeme Wright's book "Shooting the English Double Rifle" as suggested, and you will understand regulation and finding loads which will match the loads your rifle was regulated with. Or do a search here under my screen name, I have posted a number of posts on regulation.

What cartridge is your rifle chambered for?

JPK

Free 500grains

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wedge problem solved. It was inserted correctly from the right, but upside down.