THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Westley Richards .577 on Cabelas
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Westley Richards .577 on Cabelas
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted
http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/community/gun_inv...sp?hierarchyId=10473 Yes,it is the 650gr load.We regulated it to the gun with 102grs of RL-15 and 650 Woodleighs,Softs and Solids,which shoot well under 2" at 50yds.Recoil is about the same as my full patch 750 gr loads in my standard weight Army/Navy Double of 13 1/2 pounds.The 650's will go right through a Cape Buffalo and over 36" through Elephant Skull!The Nice thing is this Double handles like a .400-.470 ,a Joy to carry and still hits like a Sledgehammer with 650 grain slugs of .585 diamater for a Great Knockout Punch,not to mention 2 shots quick.....and,It's a "WESTLEY RICHARDS" to boot! : ) Also,unless you see and handle this gun in person,its hard to appreciate!I just like more horsepower now!

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WVFred
posted Hide Post
9lb. 10oz. Eeker

DRSS Member

Posts: 905 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful gun. The 83gr load is the "tropical"
load for the 90/650 loading. Seems a bit light
in weight, and a bit pricey for a 90/650

Posts: 142 | Location: chicago | Registered: 03 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It does seem a bit pricey for a BLE. And the, gulp, weight.

I went to the WR website and used the "Build My Own Rifle" feature. You can bet a brand spanking new droplock in 577 NE for about $84,000 at the current exchange rate.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Safarikid: What velocity can be expected from
the 102gr RL-15 load? No doubt that the 90/650
.577 is an unappreciated splendid cartridge.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Standard ballistics show 90 gr of Cordite, 650 gr bullet to have a velocity of 1950fps in 28" bbls [one source] and 2000 in 30" bbls with close fitted chambers. [second source].

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think this is a $30K to $35K rifle.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont see nitro proofs. Is this a black powder gun converted to light nitro load?

Posts: 414 | Location: nebraska | Registered: 30 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brent steffen:
I dont see nitro proofs. Is this a black powder gun converted to light nitro load?

No. The ad says the gun dates from 1900, so I presume this is a lettered gun. The crossed sceptre Definitive Proof Mark and View Mark of the Birmingham proof house are consistent with that date. These marks were replaced with the more familiar crown over BP and crown over BV marks in 1904. A British gun of original nitro proof from 1900 shouldn't HAVE a Nitro Proof mark, and if it does, it isn't original.

The dedicated Nitro Proof Mark (crown over NP for Birmingham) wasn't introduced until 1904, but nitro proof was in regular use from 1887. Pre-1904 nitro proof was denoted by marking the charge weight and name of the semi-smokeless powder used in the normal load ("Cordite 83 gr") and the heaviest bullet used in the normal load ("Ball 650 gr MaxM"). Naming the nitro propellant specified proof as nitro. In 1904, the marks there on the flats became: crown over BP; crown over BV; Cordite 83 - 650MAX; and crown over NP.

The proof marks show original light Nitro Proof and are correct for a gun of that date. Light nitro .577s were popular in India as tiger rifles.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The "ad" says the gun was made in 1900, and
nitro proof marks were not required for several
years after that. But, it could have started
life as a black powder rifle, which could in
part, explain the weight.

one of us
posted Hide Post
400 Nitro Express is correct. I forgot about
the cordite charge on the flats. Its unlikely
that was added later.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 577ne:
The "ad" says the gun was made in 1900, and
nitro proof marks were not required for several
years after that. But, it could have started
life as a black powder rifle, which could in
part, explain the weight.

No. The flats don't show reproof. This is an original Nitro gun.

Oops, .577, we were posting at the same time.
-----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels,everything else just burns gunpowder."

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
WOW,Thankyou! I am impressed...and grateful as it is NOT a BP conversion...BLE stands for Boxlock Ejector...Thanks Sir!
quote:
Originally posted by 400 Nitro Express:
quote:
Originally posted by brent steffen:

No. The ad says the gun dates from 1900, so I presume this is a lettered gun. The crossed sceptre Definitive Proof Mark and View Mark of the Birmingham proof house are consistent with that date. These marks were replaced with the more familiar crown over BP and crown over BV marks in 1904. A British gun of original nitro proof from 1900 shouldn't HAVE a Nitro Proof mark, and if it does, it isn't original.

The dedicated Nitro Proof Mark (crown over NP for Birmingham) wasn't introduced until 1904, but nitro proof was in regular use from 1887. Pre-1904 nitro proof was denoted by marking the charge weight and name of the semi-smokeless powder used in the normal load ("Cordite 83 gr") and the heaviest bullet used in the normal load ("Ball 650 gr MaxM"). Naming the nitro propellant specified proof as nitro. In 1904, the marks there on the flats became: crown over BP; crown over BV; Cordite 83 - 650MAX; and crown over NP.

The proof marks show original light Nitro Proof and are correct for a gun of that date. Light nitro .577s were popular in India as tiger rifles.
------------------------------------------------

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
We got a average of 1940fps with its 26" barrels.Again,recoil is Not fierce at all to me,but,I do shoot a 4 Bore Dbl! : )
quote:
Originally posted by 577ne:
Safarikid: What velocity can be expected from
the 102gr RL-15 load? No doubt that the 90/650
.577 is an unappreciated splendid cartridge.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Safarikid: Thanks for the chrono data. Just
curious: did you shoot the same load with both
softs and solids?? Thanks again

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Your welcome...yes,we use the same load,but I rarely shoot solids on buffalo and thats my favorite beast....for now!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
I have seen and handled this rifle, it is truely a fine example of the gun makers art. As for any question of it's weight and recoil it is perfect for the loads mentioned. My 577 is a pound heavier and shoots similar loads, it's a pussycat, I wouldn't hesitate for a moment if given a chance to shoot this one.
Best.

Posts: 367 | Location: South east Georgia | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I would suspect that the weight stated at 9 lbs. 10 oz. is in error, as it would be nearly impossible to make it that light.

Everytime I thought I had found a lightweight double at Cabelas it's real weight was a pound or more than specified.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19334 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
I would suspect that the weight stated at 9 lbs. 10 oz. is in error, as it would be nearly impossible to make it that light.

It's a simple matter to build them that light. Was just looking at a Purdey...
--------------------------------------------------

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Will,that weight is CORRECT as I weighed it on MY digital scale and came up with 9 pounds,11 ounces,close enough for me.Recoil is "Stout",but it IS a .577! : )
quote:
Originally posted by Will:

Everytime I thought I had found a lightweight double at Cabelas it's real weight was a pound or more than specified.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I guess I stand corrected. It must have very thin barrels, especially 26" barrels, where most the weight is usually concentrated.

Then how come my 470 weighs that much, with 24" barrels? (9.70 lbs, or 9 lbs. 11 oz.). The buttstock/receiver weighs 3.8 lbs. and the barrels/forend weighs 5.9 lbs.

The only way to lighten up this thing now is to flute the barrels!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19334 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Like all Westley Richards double rifles that thing would point it's self! thumb

However, it is a 577NE 3" light cordite/bullet,but it should still get your attention when you let her go. Would be a nice rifle to carry all day, as it weighs a pound less than my 470NE. You carry a double far more than you shoot it when hunting 577NE targets! If I could aford it.................. CRYBABY

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Gents;
This is a very interesting rifle. I saw one on Guns America earlier this year and tried to buy it...then listed at $36K. I studied the load, called the factory and talked with very knowledgeable ammo guys. I was advised this was NOT a standard load and made most likely for the India Tiger Trade in a light rifle for the Raj in the Howdah.
I was advised it would NOT be advised to shoot the 90/650 load in the rifle as the owner had been doing...at least very long, it would come of the face soon...simply too light a frame for this heavier load.
Shooting it with an equivalent of 83C in Nitro loads by hand loading would be a mighty fine pussy cat to shoot...and a good Buff stopper too!!
Interesting another one now shows on Cabelas?? The one I was pursuing ended up with Walter in the Gun Room in Anchorage and is currently priced at $68,000...apparently a different gun and looks different in pix as well.
A great friend of mine and very knowledgeable DR fanatic has communicated with one of the country's best known DR historian and auction house purveyor...says in their opinion the rifle I was pursuing is a $22-25,000 rifle.
When it rains, it pours...WR's everywhere in strange configurations...wish they were priced right...would love to have one...I missed the right buy earlier this year...sadly!!
By the way, another good firend and DR fanatic has recently pruchased a BEAUTIFUL, like new WR 577 BLE in full 3"...he claims it shoots full house loads like a pussy cat...I'll believe that when I see it [it weighs in at 13.5lbs]...last 577 I fired was an H&H Royal SLE...and it DOUBLED!! That was no pussycat...but nothing broken, didn't drop the rifle, blew off my hat and glasses though!!
Happy New Year...

470EDDY

Posts: 2600 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If anyone really wants a nice 577 WR, George at Champlins has just received one from a buddy of mine and it is for sale. He wants 36k for it. Worth all of that.

York, SC