Find
Notify
Tools

Merkel 140 red dot mounts
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted
Since we're discussing the use of red dots on doubles here lately and I have a Merkel 140-2 making it's way to me..let me see/hear what you've done for red dot mounts. Claw or otherwise. Love the Docter Optik red dot currently on my Sabatti, but not a fan of the "ears" on the mount. They tended to catch my shorts' pockets when I walked. Being that I'm getting a 500 NE, any issues with claw type mounts? What do you have experience with and recommend for the Merkel?
Thanks in advance

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Beau and I both had a single, flat bottomed base installed on the rib midway between the breach and the rear sight on our Merkel 500NEs last year. Beau mounted a Trijicon RMR and I used a Burris FFIII. Both rifles were shot extensively before going to africa for a couple elephants and both worked without issue.

I don't understand all the concern over installing a base on a DR in the same manner you would on a bolt rifle. If done correctly, they won't move. We did specify longer screws for the bases.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
Mike, do you a pic or 2 you could post?

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I'm posting challenged. However, if you PM me your email I will send you some. We posed a number of pics of our DRs with our cartridge belts on our Eles last June.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I've emailed you approximately 6 pics - I lost count! - showing the base on my Merkel, the FFIII mounted and Beau's Merkel with the RMR mounted. With the red dots removed the iron sights may be used; the base does not interfere with the sight picture.

If I recall correctly, this was a Burris base intended for use on a SAVAGE rifle; it is flat bottomed, which is what you want. The Burris tech was helpful when I explained what I was doing.

You may post the pics here if you have the capability, as others might be interested as well.

Hope this helps.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LionHunter, I posed this question on another post concerning on Red Dots. Thinking of putting one on a large bore bolt gun. It is a toss up between the FFIII and the Trijicon's RMR06, bunch of dollars between the two is the RMR that much better built?
Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 1625 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I know of problems out of the box with both. In every case they were replaced by the factory.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
Mike,
got the pics and posting a few for others to see.
Thanks.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Glad you rcvd the pics, and thanks for posting them.

1st and 4th pics are of a Trijicon RMR mounted on Beau's Merkel 500NE. The rest are my Merkel 500NE showing the Burris base installed on the center rib.

I selected the position for the base forward of the breach in order to reduce the possibility of interference while reloading. The center ribs were not modified on either rifle. I can, and have, used the iron sights with the base in place without any problem with the sight picture.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
Mike,
When you say the enter rib was not modified, does that mean that the base is just tapped into the rib and no portion of the rib was removed? If so, are they just screwed in..and did you use a larger thread/screw to ensure no movement?
Steve

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Yes, exactly. Larger screws were used but the center rib was not cut. This is an un-necessary and costly procedure that is never required for large bore bolt rifles, so why do it on a DR? Neither Beau nor I have had any issues with the bases and we have each fired hundreds of full power rounds.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA