Find
Notify
Tools

Cast Bullets in the 577NE
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello,

I would like to start shooting cast bullets in my 577NE. I have a fair bit of experience using them in my smaller ( relative term) big bores, however I’m finding it difficult to come up with things like gas checks, sizing dies etc. for the 577.
I would like to keep them in the 650 grain range and hope to drive them somewhere between 1500 – 1800 fps.

Any advise re loads or where to purchase supplies would be appreciated.

BTW, The equipment I presently have will not accommodate this size of bullet...so I’m open to suggestions.

Regards,
NN

Posts: 54 | Location: Canada | Registered: 30 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had LBT Veral Smith make three sizes of molds for my 577. A 450 gr, 650 gr and 750 gr. I shoot them as cast. I like the 650 gr the best. The 450 gr are really fun to shoot but with most powders I have had problems getting good ignition. The 650 gr and 750 gr I use around 100 grains of RL-15 and one or two 28 ga fiber wads under the bullet for a gas check. I soak the wads in molten bullet lube to give a good seal and extra lube.

Sam

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks srose...this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for Smiler

If I can ask, what diameter are you casting them?

Thanks
NN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cast a bunch and figured I needed to size them. I had a custom push thrpugh sizer and cutter made so I could size then put them in a tray of melted lube and then cut them out when hard. I found it was not nessicary to size them and after trying both sized and ascast. Now I just shoot as cast and tumble lube usually even though it makes them ugly. I also use 28 gauge fiber wads but never thought to lube them, I will have to try it.

Oh and I cast linotype for my 577 nitros btw.

Matthew

Posts: 383 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As cast my bullets are .585.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All good info...thanks guys.

NN

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
I had LBT Veral Smith make three sizes of molds for my 577. A 450 gr, 650 gr and 750 gr. I shoot them as cast. I like the 650 gr the best. The 450 gr are really fun to shoot but with most powders I have had problems getting good ignition. The 650 gr and 750 gr I use around 100 grains of RL-15 and one or two 28 ga fiber wads under the bullet for a gas check. I soak the wads in molten bullet lube to give a good seal and extra lube.

Sam

Sam what diameter are the bullets as cast?

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
As cast my bullets are .585.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What type of alloy are you using to cast the bullets?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use wheel weights and drop them out of the mold into a 30 gallon drum full of cold water. They come out pretty hard.

One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
clap clap clap
This is a cool topic! Big Grin
It's an example of why we're here. Smiler

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree beer

NN

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Tom at Accurate Molds makes some very nice molds also. He did a 650 and 750 weighted dual cavity mold for my 600 w/o problem. His online catalog shows several styles for the 577.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim @ Accurate has a nice 650 grain that I'm going to order for my 577. He seems to be very helpful as well.