THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    It's my turn to take the plunge!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's my turn to take the plunge!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well, I finally did it! It was my turn to take the plunge into my first DR (I also might have figured out how to post photos on AR). After 6 or so years of “saving” (hiding $ from my wife) I’ve ordered a VC at SCI from Ken.

It's been an interesting adventure and y'all here in AR have been a valued resource. In the beginning I really knew nothing about DRs or who made them. I think that Tracks Across Africa shows may have been what sparked my addiction.

I first stumbled across the Siace rifles and really liked what I saw but wasn’t too keen on hammer guns. Their price tag seemed waay beyond what I was used to but the more I drooled over them the more I warmed up to the price tag. All I had to do was implement a "savings" plan. At that point I had never been interested in spending more than $2500 on a rifle, so yea, a Siace looked pretty spendy.

Through the internet and discovered that there were quite a few makers building DRs. With that I learned more about what they cost and Siace looked to be pretty low on the price spectrum. At that point I asked myself if a DR priced less than $8K was taking a risk since what I liked, was hearing about, and was seeing ($12K - $35K) cost much more than a Siace. I didn’t want to be haunted by “you get what you pay for”.

I hadn't been to Africa and did not know anyone who had a DR. A friend of mine talked about an experience shooting a K gun but said that while DRs were cool, they were a waste of money and only 50 yard guns. “Whatever”... I was hooked and couldn't listen to him. Accuracy and range were not my priority. To me it was about hunting with a magnificent rifle. I didn't really know much about SCI back then. As I had not been on a safari, a membership didn’t seem applicable to me. Talk about being uninformed! At some point I found NitroExpress.com and from there AR. Somewhere in that time I learned of the Sabatti's and was really considering one and had "saved" enough for one. Again the question of quality came up and what respected guns cost. I felt that if I was going to do this that I had to do it right. Besides, at that point I was almost half way to what I was going to pay for one (or so I thought at the time).

AR revealed that SCI was a great way to look at DRs so I went for the first time around 5 years ago to Reno. I bounced back and forth between all of the booths with DRs and was really hooked. Did that again the next year, and the next….

Never before had a lust for a gun fueled me so much. But which one was the right one for me? The Chapuis didn't quite do it for me but the price was right. I really liked the K gun and its safety mechanism. But they didn't come standard with a shadow line on the cheek piece and it wasn't the English style. Talking with them at SCI what I was looking for was tipping the scales at $17K which was far more than I was willing to spend (or so I thought at the time…). Blaser was OK but just wasn't the one for me. Again the cheek piece issue. Searcy guns were perfect but too expensive (I didn't know about his field grades then). Merkels were OK but I “needed” different wood and they didn't seem to provide options that I wanted. I remember passing by the VC booth 3 years ago but again they seemed too expensive so I did not stop to look so much. I adored they Heyms but just couldn’t see spending that much (again, or so I thought at the time).

The years went by, my "savings" grew, and with that my acceptance of a more expensive gun. There were financial drains on my gun fund over the years. That 44 S&W I needed, my sons first deer rifle, a few .22’s for the younger kids, a couple of AR15’s & 10’s, a puppy, etc.

There were specific features that I "needed": palm swell, scope mount, flip up night sight, extra rear leaves, extended top and bottom tangs, steel grip cap, splinter, English style cheek piece with a shadow line, certain wood. With about $15K "saved" I figured that I was either there with cutting back on some options or was at the point for a down payment for a gun with more options where I could “save” the balance in the time it would take to have it built. It was either going to be a VC or a preAugust 2012 Searcy field grade with some options added. The direction of the field grade changed since last August so in the end it came down to VC or Heym. I had decided that the used gun market was not for me and I wanted something that I knew would fit me.

I had been pretty fixated on the VC for the last 2 years and am not surprised that I stayed the course with them. Yea, I could get what I call an entry level Heym or hold out a little longer for a really nice Searcy, but I could get everything I wanted in a VC.

So, around next October I’ll have:

A VC in .450/400, ejectors, French Gray and scalloped rear of the receiver, moustache and fillet, , 25 inch barrels, flip over night sight, 2 extra folding rears, scope mount, extended top and bottom tangs, steel grip cap, shadow line cheek piece, sling swivels, palm swell, splinter fore end.

The “savings” plan will continue so that I can get to Africa in 5 or so years and get really close to an animal that would stomp my guts out or eat me. Until then I’ll knock over deer and pigs in the rolling hills of California with a beautiful gun. A .450/400 Nitro Express for scrawny Blacktail deer? Hey, if it’s worth doing it’s worth doing excessively.

Below (if I correctly figured out how to post photos) is a photo of my daughter from where I sat with Ken at the recent SCI show as we dialed in the options on what is the pinnacle of my cordite lust.

Posts: 156 | Location: Preferably in the woods with my Verney-Carron .450/400 NE double rifle | Registered: 07 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the club! I hope you know that "Double Rifle Disease" in not curable and is terminal - if you don't, it's too late now! I am currently at 5 double rifles on hand and 2 on order. One of my favorites is a Verney-Carron 450/400 round action - not as elegant as the the rifle you have on order, but nice nonetheless. Ken Buch provides great customer service, and his rifles are nicely finished and well regulated. You will love the caliber - it is a joy to shoot,it has very low recoil, and reloading for it is easy. Please post photos once you take delivery.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yep; congratulations on a good rifle and great caliber. Now, start saving for another one. As the commercial says, "Bet you can't eat (buy) just one.".

Posts: 17281 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. Great caliber and a great rifle maker. I particularly love that you said, "screw the barrel length debate" and went with 25" barrels. The best of both worlds! I hope the time waiting passes quickly for you.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also said "screw the barrel length debate", and went with 27's on my Bradshaw 500 NE and 450-400 :-)

Fo-Fiddy, congrats!

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
It was nice to meet and speak with you in Reno this year. There is no question you made the right decision to go with VC instead of the Heym IMO. Ken is great to deal with and you'll love that rifle. The anticipation of waiting for it is fun as well and the time will go by quickly. But do start saving for the second one because this one will just get you started. You'll NEED several!! Smiler

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
There is no question you made the right decision to go with VC instead of the Heym IMO.

Todd, curious about the basis for this statement?

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Mike,

My perception of value. For instance, $4K for intercepting sears which are actually standard on the Heym but can be added to the VC for $1,250. Full engraving on even the basic VC whereas a $17K Heym gets you a very unfinished looking rifle and requires an additional $6K for engraving. More options available on the VC compared to Heym and at a price that I personally consider to be more in line with what they are actually worth. In fact, we had a discussion on this awhile back where it was determined that for the price Heym charges for intercepting sears, one can get intercepting sears, bolted stalking safety, leather covered recoil pad, full scroll engraving, with money left over on the VC. But that's just my opinion.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Sort of like a basic Boeing versus a tricked out Airbus?

Mike

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Fo: Cordite lust!

Big Grin

Biebs, not one but TWO Bradshaws on order??!! Good lord, are you an alchemist?

Cool

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alchemist? Isn't that a dirty word? :-)

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Sort of like a basic Boeing versus a tricked out Airbus?

Maybe. I've flown both as a professional commercial pilot and have no reservations over either from a pilot's standpoint. They both have Pro's and Con's. Boeing being a bit behind in terms of flight displays and automation on the models I flew (B-727, B-373, B-757, and B-767). The newer 777 being a different story and then the 787 currently being a disaster with it's world wide grounding. Damn ultra modern (so to speak) B737-800 shows up with the knee buster trim wheel of the old B-707 days still installed on the center console and generators still need to be manually switched. Hell, even the Rube Goldberg MD-80 has auto switching generators! But I digress.

Fact is, both rifles (and planes) are fine from a functionality standpoint and of high quality. But after speaking with Fo Fiddy out at SCI, I think he made the right decision in that he not only got a very high quality rifle, but also got one that is fully dressed out aesthetically speaking instead of purchasing a high quality rifle that leaves much to be desired in terms of looks. Fact is, that for the same money as the PH Heym, one can get all the same features and more in VC and have it dressed out with CCH, nice wood, intercepting sears, leather recoil pad, full coverage engraving, ejectors, bolted stalking safety, and a few other niceties. And Ken is a super guy to do business with.

Again, that is MY perception of value in terms of quality and looks, and mine alone. Others may have a different opinion.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Fo:
Congratulations on the new rifle! I've stated in the past if I bought a new rifle (rather than the vintage English doubles I love) it would be a VC.

Todd:
I agree with your statement of value. While Heym produces a fine rifle I think the value is in the VC. I remember when the VC .600 came out in the mid-20K range and the Heyms were about twice that, with engraving additional. Both are fine doubles, but for many of us it comes down to the final dollar figure.
Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Uhh Hey Todd, I've been in a bunch of Boeings but never a B-373.

Is that the newest ultra secret one? Wink

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
Uhh Hey Todd, I've been in a bunch of Boeings but never a B-373.

Is that the newest ultra secret one? Wink

Damn, ya got me! homer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
It was nice to meet and speak with you in Reno this year. There is no question you made the right decision to go with VC instead of the Heym IMO. Ken is great to deal with and you'll love that rifle. The anticipation of waiting for it is fun as well and the time will go by quickly. But do start saving for the second one because this one will just get you started. You'll NEED several!! Smiler

Todd,

It was indeed good to meet you. Thanks for your input on snap caps. Lookin' forward to being able to use them!

- Dave

Posts: 156 | Location: Preferably in the woods with my Verney-Carron .450/400 NE double rifle | Registered: 07 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got the call from Ken today that my double has arrived. At the last SCI show it was planned to ship in October and VC delivered on time, despite me making several changes over the last few months. Can't wait to see this rifle and take it out for some bear hunting in the snow (deer season will have closed by the time I get it).

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
PHOTOS!!!!!
dancing

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I think you made a wise choice in Calibers. Welcome to the DRSS!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mate, your chosen cartridge is not only fine for the big stuff, it is GREAT on deer! I used mine (single-shot) on chital.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent caliber choice. If I would of ordered a 450/400 on my first double never would of bought one in 450 NE.
Recoil of the 450/400 is like shooting a 10 pound 375 H&H, not bad at all.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't hold us in suspense! Pictures please. Congrats

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
Best wishes for your enjoyment of the new rifle
for decades to come! Todd's words are well thought
out and valuable, as always.

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I hope to see pictures of the new rifle soon. May you enjoy it for a long, long time!

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Sir, welcome to DRSS! You will never regret the purchase.

The VCs are very nice rifles, and as Todd says value for money spent!

................................................................... beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rifle hasn't arrived at my local gun shop yet. Might have it early next week. Photos to follow when I get it (and then relearn how to use Photo Bucket).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I picked up the rifle from my local gun shop. It's really nice! Fits well. Triggers feel nice. The ejectors really do their job! That wil take some getting used to. Might be able to take it to the shooting range in the next few days. I took some photo's on my camera phone and will need to relearn how to use Photo Bucket. I recall that it was pretty simple. I friend of mine is a photographer and I might get him to take some really nice photos at some point.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some shoddy camera phone photos:

[EMAIL]http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u668/davesm151/Rearsight_zpsb0b7b1b3.jpg[/EMAIL]
http://i1327.photobucket.com/a...ight_zpsda774820.jpg

[EMAIL]http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u668/davesm151/TopTang_zps1d7a41f7.jpg[/EMAIL]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Real nice!

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some shoddy camera phone photos

FF NE,
A wonderful rifle!!!!!! wave
You need to attend "camera phone school"!!!!!!!!! Big Grin

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great looking VC. Good hunting with that beauty, and welcome to the ever addictive DRSS.

Mike

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get ready to order a 2nd one :-)

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
What a great looking rifle. Very nice!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D R Hunter:
quote:
Some shoddy camera phone photos

FF NE,
A wonderful rifle!!!!!! wave
You need to attend "camera phone school"!!!!!!!!! Big Grin

D R Hunter,
I enrolled in Camera Phone School. We had a hoemework assignment to take pictures of a great rifle and I showed them camera phone pictures of a Sabatti that I looked at at Cabellas. I was expelled. The principal told me to go back to Montreal. Not sure what they meant by that. I think it was an inside joke about a former student in regards to a cow.

On a serious note, off to the range tomorrow to take the VC for a test drive. Shoddy camera phone photos to follow....