New
Find
Notify
Tools

Making snap caps.........
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Like doing things myself and really detest spending $50 on a set of 450 NE snap caps.
Was thinking of getting a couple of empty cases and plugging the flash hole with a tooth pick and then filling it in with Acraglass. If the firing pin pounds the Acraglass down after awhile I can always add another drop and be back in business.
Thoughts?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6610 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I strongly suggest that you NOT use Accraglas.
Accraglas is not very resilient and may actually be too hard a surface for the firing pin to impact on.
Nothing wrong with using a case with the hole plugged, but your selection of material for the primer pocket should be a dense rubber type material.
I would be glad to send you a few round punch-outs (as a courtesy) from the material I am using for my 470 NE snap caps. All I would need is a SASE and the diameter of the rubber discs you would need.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Drill out primer pocket and thread it 1/4-20 and get you a nylon screw to put in it. You can glue the srew in and then cut it smooth with the base.

Posts: 2830 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tips. Bob, I'll take you up on your offer. PM sent.

Srose, another good idea. Will try that as well.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6610 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just glue a pencil eraser into the case. You can just scrub down the sides until it snugly fits, cut it to the desired length then glue it into place with some super glue. when it wears out, either clean it out with a primer pocket uniformer or make another one

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yu can buy hard solid round rubber in strips.

I saw it again in the shops yesterday so if it is available here it will be in the US.

It fits perfectly into the drilled out primer pocket.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Greetings gents: I have personally been using silicone sealent in the primer recess of an empty case for many years now. Cheers, Luke

Posts: 355 | Location: pueblo, Co. USA | Registered: 01 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My father has made snap caps using these spring plungers. He bought them at Mcmaster-carr.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#spring-plungers/=9g5mn0
A easy shop project.

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I strongly advise NOT using cases as snap caps...ever!

Why? Because it is how accidents happen with loaded rounds getting confused with the snap caps.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can't tell the difference between a snap cap and a loaded round you should not be permitted to own any weapon, period.

one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post

Here are some that I made from some shells that were getting worn out. I cut them down, soldered in some 410 cotton swabs, and put some RTV in the primer holes.

Sorry for the photo quality. Cell phone shot.

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve,
I do not believe that silicone is hard enough to appropriately absorm the firing pin energy.
What you are looking for is a material that will absorb most firing pin energy so that there is no "hammering" caused by the pin and other components hitting metal unhindered (In the guts of the reveiver).
I also do not recommend a material like a pencil eraser because it is also too soft and because the materil will have a tendency to throw off debris that could get down into the action.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob, I have tried epoxy, silicon rubber and hot glue in the past. Where do we obtain the perfect material for filling a primer hole to make snap caps?
Regards,

Cliff
NRA Life Member
CMP Distinguished Rifleman
NRA Master, Short and Long Range

Posts: 436 | Location: Fulshear, TX | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
Delrin rod should work. A little google work and one should be able to locate a supplier. Seems MSC use to have it, its been a long time since I ordered some.

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I noticed that Aircraft Spruce is carrying Delrin rods. [/URL] http://www.aircraftspruce.com/...epages/delrinrod.php

I have ordered from them in the past and they are great to deal with.

Marty

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R

Posts: 8 | Location: SLC, UT USA | Registered: 13 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
As mentioned above, nylon bolt 1/4-20 thread.

Drill out the primer pocket and tap with a 1/4-20 tap.

Pick up a package of these nylon bolts from Home Depot for about .50 cents. Cut off the head and cut one of the nylon bolts in half to make two snap caps. Just thread the bolt into the hole you tapped in the case and glue it in. Trim flush with a sharp knife.

If it ever wears out just replace the nylon bolt with another one. Very inexpensive and easy to make.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I gotta say that I don't have a double rifle. If I spent 10k or more on a rifle and the snap caps only cost 50 bucks........ well you get the idea.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calgarychef1:
I gotta say that I don't have a double rifle. If I spent 10k or more on a rifle and the snap caps only cost 50 bucks........ well you get the idea.

Are any snap caps guaranteed not the damage your rifle?

Cliff
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Muletrain:

Thanks for the tip. They were easy to make and look good. You sure saved me a lot of money!

Jerry

Posts: 219 | Location: North Fork, ID | Registered: 24 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob Nisbit
I made a couple out of punched conveyor belt rubber and glued them in with a GOOP adhesive. Will see how they hold up...

Muletrain
I bought the nylon bolts and plan to give it a try. 450/400 brass is so hard to find at the moment I am going to wait until I find some more.

Thanks to all for the discussion. Nobody is making 450/400 SNAP caps so it makes it tough if you want to do a bit of dry firing.

Cliff
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
FYI,,, Hornady told me that they'll be doing another run of 450/400 stuff in December.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
FYI,,, Hornady told me that they'll be doing another run of 450/400 stuff in December.

Cool, I plan to stock up!

Cliff
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After rereading this thread the nylon screw method seems the way to go. Easy, cheap, replaceable and gives me more experience drilling and tapping with little risk. Gonna try this as soon as I have use of both arms.

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Hold off a bit Randy.

I have some old berdan cases. I think I'll try to make some useing these as guinea pigs. If it works then I'll give you a set. I've already got taps ect. Just need the screws from Cheapo Depot.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will do Mike. And thanksSmiler