THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Double rifle stock dimensions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double rifle stock dimensions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted
I'm going to be shooting a double rifle today at the range and got a look at the rifle yesterday. I don't know who the imaginary person the stock was fitted for (it's a prototype rifle, the first made) might be but I find the stock to be very awkward: not enough drop, no cast off, too thin in the grip, etc, etc. When shouldered I don't even come close to lining up on the sights.

What are the "average" stock dimensions for a double rifle? I know there probably isn't an "average", but when a double rifle maker makes a factory gun, what would the dimensions be?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stock dimensions vary from one person to the next. I notice small differences most on lightweight shotguns but, the same applies to heavy double rifles.

These two are pretty large (from my perspective Wink)
1 1/2" drop at comb, 2 1/2" drop at heel and 15 3/4" length of pull (centre).
Drop at Comb is 1 & 1/8". Drop at the heel is 2". LOP is 15.5".

I'm more in the 1 1/4", 2", and 14.5" in range in general and need some cast off. I'm obviously smaller in stature then the two dimension above.

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote