THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Looking for UK 450-400 3" Hammer Gun
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for UK 450-400 3" Hammer Gun
 Login/Join

One Of Us
posted
This might be like looking for a needle in a haystack??
I would like to buy a nice UK maker double in 450-400 3" with hammers. If anyone out there has one or knows of one floating around collecting dust, please contact me. I am a buyer!!
Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2600 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One on Guns Interational I was looking at last week. U/L Hammer by Rodda.

Just looked it up again, #: 100373168

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you 505G....yes, I have seen that one, a very nice piece!! It is a possible in my search...
I should have been more specific in my description.....I would prefer a Top Lever rifle...which makes the search a bit more difficult, I know!!
My intent is to go on a Classic Elephant and Buff safari with a hammer rifle....the U/L might be just too Classic...and maybe a bit more of a handicap than I should put on myself??!!
Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2600 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's not a .450/400 but Julias has this coming up in a couple weeks.

No hammers on this, or this, but they are .450/400.

Then there's this, but it's O/U trash...

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9791 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That one on GI belongs to Crosnoe if I remember cirrectly. My dealer had it and he thought I'd buy it but there were some issues that made me hesitate. I called the original owner because I wanted to know if he had re-welded the barrel hook where the underlever joins. There was also an issue with the loads or brass as the original owner had a special set of dies for the 3 inch case made. Sorry I don't remember the exact details but I do remember it fit me well. I just couldn't pull the trigger on the sale for some reason and I always buy those hammer guns, especially the 450-400's. Was well balanced.

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also the original owner had shot an ele, I believe, with that rifle as well as a cape buff.

Dutch

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffive- WOW!! Those are a bunch of real treasures....especially the H&H O/U!!
Either of the 450-400's would be fine...but I am usually a poor loser at auctions!! Those are both GREAT rifles!!
I've gotta keep lookin'
Cheers,

470EDDY

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Dutch- thanks much for the heads up, I appreciate that very much. I am leaning towards a Top Lever gun too....
Cheers,

470EDDY

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:
...but I am usually a poor loser at auctions!!
Cheers,

Sounds to me like you are after a bargain.
If you miss out at auction, maybe you need
to bid a bit higher as it seems some guns
go cheaply.

Try looking OS as well, the US doesn't
have all the guns in the world, plenty
of bargains to be had in other countries.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Feel free to keep me in the loop on any underlevers you come across, 470. I love those things.

Dutch

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
James Julia has a very nice Lancaster on the Oct 14 auction!! I think it is a top lever however.....470 hammer rifle!!

Cheers,

470EDDY

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:
James Julia has a very nice Lancaster on the Oct 14 auction!! I think it is a top lever however.....470 hammer rifle!!

Cheers,

That was the first one I showed you above. Perfect for what you want except the caliber.

Posts: 9791 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I still kick myself on 2 lost opportunities. both were 450/400 3.25 inch nitros. One was an Army & Navy in India but the licence clerk screwed me around - or i would have got it for about $600 in 1992! The other was 5 years later in NZ - at $1200 if I recall. Both were very tidy with bluing & wood in good condition.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch44:
Feel free to keep me in the loop on any underlevers you come across, 470. I love those things.

Dutch

Dutch, the caliber might not suit you on this one, but it WAS made as a presentation piece for the Prince of Wales.

There's also this Army and Navy in .500 BPE and this 8-bore Lancaster.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you aren't looking for a Nitro gun you should look at the 450's that are available. A great cartridge to shoot. Champlin has a really nice one for $5900 and its cased.

Posts: 2832 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sam, if I'm not mistaken that Adams .450 at George's for $5,900.00 is a BPE if that was the one you were referring to. Would be in my collection already if it had been a NE. Wishful thinking on my part.

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dutch,

Yes that's the one! Nice looking gun!

Sam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous at that.

Dutch

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Sam and Dutch....yes it is!! Would you hunt Buff and Elephant with a 450 BPE??
Cheers,

470EDDY

One of Us
posted Hide Post
450 BPE with a good bullet.

Buffalo probably yes as long as you
can get close.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bullet would be the issue. I'm sure many buffalo have been killed with a 450BPE and I know the 45-70 has killed quite a few. All it takes is a bullet through the lungs and he's done. Probably not going to be a dramatic nose dive one shot drop in its tracks type of shot. I've shot deer with a 22LR and dropped them where they stood but that doesn't make it a deer rifle. know one of the great elephant hunters started out with a 577-450 Martini. I guess the big thing with the 450 BPE is if it will regulate with a heavier bullet than 300 grains. A hard cast 400 to 500 grain flat nose bullet moving at 1600 to 1800 fps would kill any buffalo out there.
If you want a hammer buffalo gun let me sell you a 577 BPE.

Sam

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Sam....I agree and that 577 BPE would be fun!!

I think the big thing today is the cost of losing one or not going down on the property you are hunting.....in days of old, that wasn't a problem...track em till you find em!!
Cheers,

470EDDY

One of Us
posted Hide Post
470EDDY,

Why not see if Siace will make you a new hammer gun in 450-400. I heard they were building bigger calibers now and they make a nice hammer double called the Alaska. Its a top lever like you are looking for. I have two hammerless 45-70 Siace doubles and they are very nice guns. Ken Buch at Kebco LLC used to carry Siace doubles. You might give him a call.

Sam