Find
Notify
Tools

C.O.L,9.3x74R
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bill74
posted
I have a Chapuis in 9.3x74R,so far I have shot factory ammo(Norma) & some hand loads using the Lapua 285gr sp,my rifle has ejectors,I would be interested to hear from anybody that is shooting the same caliber in the same rifle without ejectors,I am working on finding out the c.o.l,for two bullets,the Lapua & the speers 270 gr,using Norma brass,at what length do the bullets come in contact with the lens?

Posts: 115 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
If you means lands. Smoke the different slugs with a candle to see when you make contact with the rifleing then seat it just a tad deeper.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IF YOU GET UNHAPPY WITH YOUR RIFLE BRING IT TO THE NOVI, MICH SHOW NOVEMBER 25 & 26 AND I'LL BUY IT FROM YOU
TOM CABLETOOLS@ALLTEL.NET

OR TEL 814 774 5739

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill74
posted Hide Post
Tom,
thanks for the offer,but no thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bal Try this.
If you have a dial caliper, drop a bullet in the barrel and measure the distance to the base of the bullet wih the "tail" of the dial caliper to the back of the barrel not the extractor.

If you do not have one remind me and I will bring one to the DRSS shoot, you bring the bullets you are interested in using.

Also I strongly recommend you develop loads with the 286 grain Woodleigh Soft and Solid, as these are the 2 best bullets I have used in my Chapuis.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
If you do not have one remind me and I will bring one to the DRSS shoot, you bring the bullets you are interested in using.

If any of you guys want to bring your dies to the DRSS shoot, with some bullets, and you can buy a pound of powder here, I will have a BIG MAX press, that attaches to my reciever hitch on my 4X4,and a scale,a set of 9.3X74R, and 470NE dies, so you guys can reload some of your ammo if you want! thumb

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bal,

For the Lapua 286 grain Mega, the Lapua Guide shows an OAL of 3.630, with a case length of 2.933. Did not find one for a 285 grain SP. The Norma Guide shows a case length of 2.941. You will find case differences are not uncommon guide to guide.

From past experience (not DR reloading), some rifles shoot better with the bullet right on the lands, others a couple of tens of thousands off the lands. Both the rifle and the bullet can make a difference. GS Custom, for example, I believe recommends the bullets on the lands.

WIth the 9.3, since it is necked and rimmed I am not sure whether the bullet will seat off the neck or the rim. They guys here can tell me if I'm off base, but it would seem that to get the best OAL of where your bullet seats on the lands is to load a dummy round up with the bullet a little higher than normal (around 3.85), then push the cartridge in until it stops. Make sure your brass is to the correct length first.

You can also buy a gauge like Stony Point to do the same thing. Not sure if they have the inserts for the 9.3 though.

Each barrel will probably be just a little different, but you certainly don't want different lengths based on the right or left chamber!

Testing a new bullet is pretty time consuming. You need to vary the powder charges (working up from the minimum) and seating depth of the bullet to get the right combination. And even then, that combo may not work with different brass or different primers. Best to have a setup you can take to the range.

Mac, I can't wait to see that rig!

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,
I have a Stoney Point tool. I do not think it will work in the 9,3 Chapuis ejector model as the extractor is under spring pressure and will not go flush with the chamber without a lot of pressure, making accurate measurements difficult.

On a DG rifle I prefer not to have the bullets touch the lands as small differences in the bullet ogive might cause chambering or pressure problems, also while it should not happen I would hate to have a bullet pull out of a loaded round and stick in the chamber in the field facing DG.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dr reloading is a whole new subspecies, if not species, to reloading.

Tony, how far off the lands would you go if the recommendation for the bullet is to seat it on the lands?

By the way, WELCOME BACK!

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill74
posted Hide Post
Tony,
thanks for the suggestion,I am going to try it out.

Mac,
that's quite the idea,I might take you up on it,If I can get everything together in time for my new 470,I sure would like to see the old pros teach us newbies some of the tricks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim

I do not have a set rule.
The Speer 270 gr touches the lands at 3.860 oal and I load them to 3.712 oal.
The 286 Woodleigh Soft touches at 3.990, I load it to 3.700.
The oal with the 286gr Nosler Partition is 3.795.

One of Us
Picture of Bill74
posted Hide Post
Jim,
thanks for the input,your post had not made it in when I posted last!
From the time that I spent shooting Sharps rifles,I did discover that the hardness of the bullets & the angle of the throat dictated different oals for different bullets,correct me if I am wrong,but I think that the softer bullets can be loaded right upto & touching,& the harder the bullet the further off the grooves you are!

Tony,
I wonder if the throat depth is the same from your Chapuis to mine?
I loaded some Speers last night,Quickload showed 3.720 & Hodgdon showed 3.665,I put them at 3.665,I will see how they shoot,weather around here has been so crappy lately,it's been hard to get out & shoot for a while now.

One of Us
Picture of Bill74
posted Hide Post
Tony,
oh yeah,better get the stories ready for around the campfire in Dallas!