New
Find
Notify
Tools

Siace Double Rifles?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone owned and/or shot one of the Siace double rifles? A friend is looking at one in 444 Marlin, but I've never known anyone who owned one. Wondering about regulation and overall quality and function.

Posts: 20142 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I am sure Sam Rose had one or even two. Probably 45/70 or 9.3X74R or both. I may have even shot it.

At one time they were for sale. Not sure of current situation.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like lots of positive feedback on Siace rifles. Thanks, I'll pass it on!

Posts: 20142 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bieber, I bought one of Sam s Siace 45-70 rifles. Very accurate with the right barrel grouping easily 1" at 100yds with a 6x redot. Left a bit more variable maybe related to time to firing. I shoot it with Grizzly +P and get about 2100 fps with 405 gr. Light and lethal. Use it for deer in US and plains and wildebeest in Africa. A Punch solid on wildebeest goes from rear to under the skin in the neck.

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LR3:
Bieber, I bought one of Sam s Siace 45-70 rifles. Very accurate with the right barrel grouping easily 1" at 100yds with a 6x redot. Left a bit more variable maybe related to time to firing. I shoot it with Grizzly +P and get about 2100 fps with 405 gr. Light and lethal. Use it for deer in US and plains and wildebeest in Africa. A Punch solid on wildebeest goes from rear to under the skin in the neck.

That sounds really good,what loads is the rifle originally regulated for? How does it group with Grizzly +P @ 50 yrds? If you don't mind me asking?

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
The Punch solid does penetrate!
A frontal brain shot on an ele with a 450 grain Punch from my .45-90 went through the head and on several inches into the body.
When dug out, it was un marked and could have been loaded and fired again!

The bullet is aptly named.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
what loads is the rifle originally regulated for?

Bal, I imagine they were regulated for factory bullet weights and velocities; 405 gr if an older build and 300gr for a more modern build. Might take some playing around to get it shooting well with one of the newer heavy-duty loadings.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry Biebs, just got back from Kalahari desert in Botswana and also SA. I don’t have Sam s data but it was a mild load and very comfortable to shoot. The +P kicks much more but I wanted the extra speed for Africa and when I added the redot the fit was better and grouping. Not scientific I just shot and check results. Took my cheek up higher on the stock. Without the 6x magnifier and only red dot I ll group about 3” at 100 yds and 6” at 150 yds. With a scope I certainly get better. The 6x was too limited field for fast shooting and I didn’t need the distance.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
3" at 100 with a red dot sight is more than adequate for DR hunting.