THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Seeking .375H&H Flanged Load Data for CEB Bullets
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking .375H&H Flanged Load Data for CEB Bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted
I will be taking delivery of my Searcy .375 H&H Flanged Magnum double in a month or so. I have the opportunity to provide Butch the loads I am going to shoot for his use in regulating my rifle. I know I will be using CEB bullets for all my hunting applications with this rifle. Have any of you worked up good loads for this caliber using CEB solids and non-cons? If so, I would really appreciate hearing which loads have worked best for you.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Will PM mine to you when I get home from my daughters soccer game in about 2 hours.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Admiral, will you be using this new rifle with a scope?

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Admiral, will you be using this new rifle with a scope?

Todd - yes - I will be using a scope on this double. I provided Butch a Leupold VX-3 1.5-5 scope and Talley QD rings to mount on it. I think I will mostly use this as a scoped rifle for plains game or for hunting in North America - maybe for leopard as well. I will use my larger open sighted doubles for other Dangerous Game.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a nice plan. Exactly what I did with the 9.3x74R. I'm thinking it's a good idea to have Butch regulate it with the scope since you get to supply the ammo as well. This should be a fine rifle.

Do you still have the 9.3 as well?

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Sub:

Could you tell us a little more about your gun or maybe post a picture? Would love to see it.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Sounds like a nice plan. Exactly what I did with the 9.3x74R. I'm thinking it's a good idea to have Butch regulate it with the scope since you get to supply the ammo as well. This should be a fine rifle.

Do you still have the 9.3 as well?

Yes - I still have the 9.3x74R Chapuis I bought from Ken Buch, and I have another 9.3x74R double coming from Bailey Bradshaw that I ordered in January 2011. The Bradshaw double will also be fitted with a scope.

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
Sub:

Could you tell us a little more about your gun or maybe post a picture? Would love to see it.

I will post some photos as soon as Butch delivers it to me. It is being built on a Webley screw grip action, which is going to be way cool!

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Sub:

I have a Chapuis in that caliber. The first load that I tried was a Jamison case, Federal 215 magnum primer, a 300 grain Hornady RN SN, and 72 grains of H4350. That gave me right at 2400 fps. H4350 might be a good place to start with the CEB bullets because they are longer and 4350 doesn't fill the case quite as much.

The next load that I tried was 80 grains of H4831SC. That gave me right at 2350 fps. I'm guessing that 4831 will fill the case to much for the homogenous bullets but it works well with the conventional bullets like Hornady or Woodleigh.

My rifle was regulated with Kynoch ammo. I bought some to try and it was running at around 2350 fps.

Hope this helps you get a start.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
Sub:

I have a Chapuis in that caliber. The first load that I tried was a Jamison case, Federal 215 magnum primer, a 300 grain Hornady RN SN, and 72 grains of H4350. That gave me right at 2400 fps. H4350 might be a good place to start with the CEB bullets because they are longer and 4350 doesn't fill the case quite as much.

The next load that I tried was 80 grains of H4831SC. That gave me right at 2350 fps. I'm guessing that 4831 will fill the case to much for the homogenous bullets but it works well with the conventional bullets like Hornady or Woodleigh.

My rifle was regulated with Kynoch ammo. I bought some to try and it was running at around 2350 fps.

Hope this helps you get a start.

Thanks Dave - it's a start! I also have Graeme Wright's book for reference.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Admiral: Hopefully our "twins" will arrive at the same time! Butch was telling me that he had to move their arrival back, in spite of your birthday deadline. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
subsailor

Congrats on choosing a fine double in such a classic caliber. Looking forward to s seeing the pics and hearing how she shoots when she arrives.

I like the way Butch honours the style of the classic British double with his designs. The shape of the stock and the "weight between the hands" style of the action just look right. The only thing I would change is making the splinter forend a bit shorter, ending it at the front of the quarter rib, but that is just a personal thing. Butch is doing a fine job.

Rhodes
DRSS

Posts: 193 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 July 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Searcy PH in 375 FL was regulated with 300 gr Woodie bullets and 63 gr of RL15...this per my paperwork (I bought the rifle from a gent who's hunt got canceled). After about 20 rounds thru the chrono running well over 2400 fps, Butch and I both agreed that that was a touch warm. I'd stick to a good load reaching about 2400 max...this with 26" barrels. I personally like H4350.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
DSC SCI

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We have the same issue, Admiral. Butch is about to finish my .375 flanged magnum. I've sent him a mix of CEB BBW#13 non-cons in 300 grain solid and 275(?) grain soft that should use the same charge of powder to regulate, and asked him to try to bring them to 2400 fps using IMR4350.

Never know with doubles, but I imagine what he comes up with for mine might work with yours. Suggest you give him a call to see what's what at this point.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote