THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    A little target practice ...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A little target practice ...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted
Well, finally made the time to run up to a certain trail off of Beaver Dam Road for an just an hour and a half of paper punching with the Chapuis and Sabatti Twins.

Some observations:
Observation # 1:
I need new eyeglasses.
Scoped Chapuis vs. unscoped Sabattis pointed that out.

Put a Leupold Vari-X II 2-7x on the Chapuis and put 34 rounds through it:

At 100 Yards, penultimate and final two shot sight-in groups:

Observation #2:
450/400 in the Sabatti is a PLEASURE to shoot. Put 18 400gr DGX and 18 300gr Hornady softs through it and was grinning ear to ear.

Observation #3:

Sabatti in 450 Nitro Express shooting 480gr DGX has substantially more recoil than the Sabatti 450/400.

Not bad but more.

Hard to know if I was feeling it more because I had already put 70 rounds through the Chapuis and other Sabatti. Or if I was feeling it more because I wanted to get in at least few shots in the now torrential rainfall at 50 degrees and was only wearing a T-shirt. Whatever it was, 14 shots was enough.

Packed up the H3 and it was "through the river and over the woods"...

Great fun and great doubles - very happy. Scoped Chapuis will be just the ticket for whitetails this December in the Allegheny forrests.

Looking forward to more fun with the 450/400 and the 450NE.

Rusty - you were 100% correct! 450/400 is a real sweetie - I was really surprised by the recoil, or lack thereof I should say.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul, nice looking guns!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
Doc, what a nice way to spend the day. I planted fifteen trees on my wife's landscape project-took all day and very tiring. I did blow up some water jugs with the 470 before dark. It seems the 470 is enough gun for the job. Your 400 jeffery looks as good as it did in Boise. Congrats on the pruchase.

Tom

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CCMDoc,

Well done, the Chapuis is very, very good as most of them are. You're 450/400 looks a peach. Hope it shoots as good as it looks. I think your set for just about anything a good double has a use for.

Enjoy

Posts: 41 | Location: Melb, Australia | Registered: 10 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Thanks all.

The 450/400 and 450NE shot well but as I said, my eyes ain't what they used to be and my glasses are too many years old. Eeker

That said, I can't wait to get back to the fields and play some more.

Twoseventy given your recent experience, will any of these doubles beenough gun for DWJs? Wink

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifles. It looks like you had a successful and enjoyable outing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice. What load were you using with the 300 gr bullets?

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boxhead:
Nice. What load were you using with the 300 gr bullets?

I'll check tonight and PM you with my actual load data. I used the 75% rule for these "plinking" loads - use the same charge with bullets that weigh 75% of those for which the double is regulated as is used with "standard" weight bullets.

For example - "load X" regulates well with a 400 grain bullet in the 450/400. You can use the same load with a 300grain 450/400 and it should regulate well and shoot to same POA.

I learned this here and there is a lot of info on it if you search for 75% in the Double forum.

Look for a PM tonight.

paul

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good, I have a 2-7X Leupold on my Chapuis as well. Perfect for PG and anything else except maybe Ele in thick jess.

If you need anymore doubles, I am going to Cabela's tomorrow morning. rotflmo

Congratulations and good shooting!

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
If you need anymore doubles, I am going to Cabela's tomorrow morning. rotflmo
Rich
DRSS

I...MUST...RESIST...

Don't tempt me hilbily